P0171 Code but car runs just fine....How concerned should i be to drive it....

This is a discussion on P0171 Code but car runs just fine....How concerned should i be to drive it.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I should mention that the car was just repaired from a wreck where the FMIC, bumper, fender, etc removed and ...

P0171 Code but car runs just fine....How concerned should i be to drive it....

I should mention that the car was just repaired from a wreck where the FMIC, bumper, fender, etc removed and replaced. I have Read the guide to this particular code and am going down the list but need to drive a bunch tommorow...

My A/F gauge seems to read about the same (13-15 during normal driving) except when at idle when it goes to 17,18+

This to me means its likely a loose/cracked vaccum hose (Though my vaccum gauge reads the same as it always does), or a pipe somewhere not tightened down enough, though the car boosts just fine.....

I have tried new fuel and cleaning the MAF

Tommorow i'm going to do a smoke test.

How worried should i be to drive it? Like i said, it seems to run fine. Any help tonight is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your AFR should be at stoich at idle (14.7:1), and normal driving shouldn't be any higher than that unless you're coasting. You have a leak somewhere in your intake tract post MAF or in the charge piping as you suspect.

I wouldn't be driving it around until you get it fixed.

Has this car been tuned? Also, is this a wideband sensor/gauge?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

It's an AEM Wideband yes, it has been tuned, on E85 over a year ago, i am planning on getting it retuned once i chase down the p0171.(I really need to update my profile and sig).

So its for sure a leak? What tells you that may i ask?

So its going to be in a vaccum hose somewhere or one of the pipes is loose...

Yes?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    To be fair, more things could cause the leaner AFR's than just a boost/intake leak, but in the OP you stated that the FMIC had been damaged and replaced. This makes it much more likely that it is something in your intake or FMIC piping than to be any other cause, so that's where I would start. Also, judging by the fact that there are no other codes where often times you'd see one (related to O2 sensor or MAF typically), it seems more likely to be a leak of some kind than anything esle.

Could also be a fuel pump on the way out, an exhaust leak near the O2 sensor, or bad O2 sensor (either the factory one the car uses for fueling, or your wideband O2). But like I said, given the conditions, I'm betting on a leak somewhere.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thats what i thought (In regards to the multiple posibilities), but i agree, the intercooler itself wasn't damaged but the piping to it was so that was replaced and of course in the process of removing and reinstalling everything i'm thinking a hose either cracked or wasn't tightened down enough.

That's the lean bank 2 code, right?

I've been getting that intermittently myself. I always just turn it off with a battery reset. Annoying to say the least. Thought it was due to an exhaust leak I had, so I replaced the gasket to get rid of the leak, but it still came back after about 500 miles.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Bank 1 I believe, I'm sure something is up though because of my A/F reading. It's also idling about 250rpm higher than normal.
    When I delete t, it comes back within 10 miles of city driving, usually the first time I let it sit at idle and the A/F climbs to 18+

It sat at the body shop for a month and was great before going in so I feel like it's got to be something they removed and reinstalled.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is only one bank.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    You want that fixed ASAP. Drive it to get it diagnosed and/or buy replacement parts, but seek alternate transportation otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    That's the lean bank 2 code, right?

I've been getting that intermittently myself. I always just turn it off with a battery reset. Annoying to say the least. Thought it was due to an exhaust leak I had, so I replaced the gasket to get rid of the leak, but it still came back after about 500 miles.
    You're getting a lean code (not an evap code)? I thought you were getting the gas cap code like I was...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You want that fixed ASAP. Drive it to get it diagnosed and/or buy replacement parts, but seek alternate transportation otherwise.

You're getting a lean code (not an evap code)? I thought you were getting the gas cap code like I was...
    No, lean bank 2 code, post cat or something like that...I forget the goddamn number.

It's currently off and has been for the last week...we'll see how long I go til it pops back up again.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Clean filter, MAF, check for leaks. Suspect O2 sensor only last.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Clean filter, MAF, check for leaks. Suspect O2 sensor only last.
    Will do! Good looking out Spiro!

Hilarity hath ensued here...today we couldn't get a smoke tester so we tried propane with a hose, moving the end of the hose around the bay waiting to hear the idle change.....
    Crickets
    .....Nothing happened, so we put the hose right up to the intake.....Nothing happened.....

we moved into the realm of dumb and used maf cleaner, sprayed it on the filter/ got an idle change so we sprayed that around the bay.... ..
    ..Nothing again....I cleared the code/ pulled off the filter and intake pipe and cleaned them a bit...and boom.No more code, A/F gauge reading about 15.2 and it's been fine all day.