Stock o2 sensor on aftermarket downpipe - extension?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock o2 sensor on aftermarket downpipe - extension? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone ever run into an issue with the stock o2 sensor not reaching the post cat bung on an aftermarket ...

I Support ClubWRX

Stock o2 sensor on aftermarket downpipe - extension?

Anyone ever run into an issue with the stock o2 sensor not reaching the post cat bung on an aftermarket downpipe? There are two spots and I know the WBO2 sensor needs to be before the cat. I have been told the stock o2 sensor goes in the bung behind the cat. I see the bung there, but the stock o2 senor does not have long enough wiring to reach. It is about a foot short. Anyone else run into this before?
    Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What downpipe are you using?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Weird...most aftermarket DPs have the stock O2 bung in a similar location to the stock DP.

Post pics.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I've got the turboxs down pipe (catted) for the 2011 STI sedan.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Weird...most aftermarket DPs have the stock O2 bung in a similar location to the stock DP.

Post pics.
    yeah the cat on my downpipe is much further back than the stock. The stock downpipe, there is pretty much about 8-9 inches between the turbo and the cat, but on the turboxs, there is a good three feet from the turbo to the cat.

Link - http://turboxs.com/shop/08-10-subaru...-downpipe.html

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I had trouble getting the old one out of stock exhaust one time, so I just ran down to the auto parts store and bought a drain plug and some high temp lock tight and screwed that into the hole. Problem solved.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I had trouble getting the old one out of stock exhaust one time, so I just ran down to the auto parts store and bought a drain plug and some high temp lock tight and screwed that into the hole. Problem solved.
    Well the o2 sensor came off fine. The second bung is plugged already. So did you just not hook up the stock o2 sensor?

Looks like you need to use the bung in front of the cat for you stock sensor.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Well the o2 sensor came off fine. The second bung is plugged already. So did you just not hook up the stock o2 sensor?

Nope, no reason to use it. It's only function is to throw a CEL.. which will be disabled in your tune anyways.

On my personal car I have my WBO2 sensor installed in that bung, of course I am also catless.

Interesting, my tune from Torque Performance has this in their instructions:

Stage 2+ customers. Do not use any mechanical CEL Fix on the rear O2 sensor. This includes any spacer that takes the rear O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream. They are unneeded and may lead to other issues. CEL’s are not normal for these maps and if they occur they should be looked at and taken seriously to determine a cause.

Sounds like you really need to find a extension or way to get the O2 sensor inserted for your tune to operate properly. I know a Stage 2 tune does turn off some of the O2 sensor readings but more than likely not all of them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Nope, no reason to use it. It's only function is to throw a CEL.. which will be disabled in your tune anyways.

On my personal car I have my WBO2 sensor installed in that bung, of course I am also catless.
    Unfortunately, Robin, that's only an option for 16-bit ECUs. The rear O2 sensor is used for fueling calculations in the 32-bit ECUs. They must have a working rear O2 sensor...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    yeah the cat on my downpipe is much further back than the stock. The stock downpipe, there is pretty much about 8-9 inches between the turbo and the cat, but on the turboxs, there is a good three feet from the turbo to the cat.

Link - http://turboxs.com/shop/08-10-subaru...-downpipe.html
    I would contact Turbo XS about the issue.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Unfortunately, Robin, that's only an option for 16-bit ECUs. The rear O2 sensor is used for fueling calculations in the 32-bit ECUs. They must have a working rear O2 sensor...

Hmm.. I thought that was just for STis... so all 32-bit ECUs use the rear O2 for closed loop corrections?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Hmm.. I thought that was just for STis... so all 32-bit ECUs use the rear O2 for closed loop corrections?
    Yup.

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Talked with Turboxs. Perfect world I would have the stock o2 sensor put in the bung behind the cat and the wbo2 sensor in the bung before the cat (which I knew had to be the case with the WBo2), although he told me that there wouldn't be a huge difference if it was vica versa. So I am going to look into seeing if I can free up some wiring coming back from the harness and if not then I will add some legth to the stock wiring. I would rather have the wbo2 before the cat and the stock o2 after. Thanks for the input everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.