Boost Spike to NO Boost, HELP
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boost Spike to NO Boost, HELP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright i have a 05 wrx with equal length headers, catless up pipe and down pipe. about 95k on the ...

Boost Spike to NO Boost, HELP

alright i have a 05 wrx with equal length headers, catless up pipe and down pipe. about 95k on the car and just recently in ANY gear you step on it and it will spool real quick and spike up to about 19psi which is no good, and then immediately go down to about 3-5psi then SLOWLY creep up if move at all. i checked all vaccum lines and clamps to and from the intercooler and nothing seems loose nor can i hear a hissing. Now there are several things i had in mind. 1. could it be the wastegate actuator getting a weak diaphram? 2. could the boost solenoid be failing?3. is it the turbo.

if anyone could help with some ideas i would be very thankful

Thanks, Kyle

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Since there are no other responses so far: check the forum for wastegate actuator arm. There have been several threads with issues about that. Something with the spring needing tightened or replaced... Don't have a real good recollection, though....
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the car tuned for the mods you have on it? Are you seeing a check engine light at all? Datalog the car and post it up.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Since there are no other responses so far: check the forum for wastegate actuator arm. There have been several threads with issues about that. Something with the spring needing tightened or replaced... Don't have a real good recollection, though....
    thanks for response, i did check the waste gate by putting compresses air too itand it did hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Is the car tuned for the mods you have on it? Are you seeing a check engine light at all? Datalog the car and post it up.
    yeah i have h cobb ap2 and its tunes to stage 2. no CEL is on. i do have a small crack in the equal length headers right at the junction. could this be enough of a leak to cause a pre boost leak?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Straube63 View Post
    yeah i have h cobb ap2 and its tunes to stage 2. no CEL is on. i do have a small crack in the equal length headers right at the junction. could this be enough of a leak to cause a pre boost leak?

OTS Cobb maps are for use with stock exhaust manifold ONLY. So that's one problem.. the fact that they are cracked is another.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have the AP then datalog the car.

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

i will data log once i go to lunch today.

I know that the cobb stage 2 map is for stock header and whatnot but it shouldnt really affect the turbo that much, the fact is that it ran perfectly fine up to this point. i started to notice a slight exhaust leak and then the boost problem started happening.

if i gradually build boost, it will hold at about 10psi then slowly creep up.

im beggining to think that the slight crack in the header is the culprate. though i will get a datalog for you guys here shortly.
    Thanks again for the help

yeah you should be tuned specifically for those headers; not just an OTS Stg 2 tune...but I suspect a crack in headers really could cause a problem as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

once i fugure out what is going on im going to get it tuned on a dyno. the thing is that something had to let go, because it help a solid 15 psi for quite a while

Another update is that when its cold it doesn't do it at all and when it's hot is when Acts up

what should i be datalogging? on cobb does it only log what you select or if you hit okay to data log say learning a/fr does it just log that or everything in the live data list?

Another update is that when its cold it doesn't do it at all and when it's hot is when Acts up
    Metal expands as it heats up...crack in headers also expands...just saying.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Metal expands as it heats up...crack in headers also expands...just saying.
    well then in that case wouldnt the crack be more evident when its cold then because the crack would be further apart then once it heats up it will close the gap?

also i just got a custom map from clarktuning so im going to re flash that to the car, then ill data log. then post it. thanks guys

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    also i just got a custom map from clarktuning so im going to re flash that to the car, then ill data log. then post it. thanks guys

So you fixed the header crack?

Okay so here is the datalog with the clark map. the boost readings are all over the place. but also the a/f learning seems odd.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Hc&usp=sharing

FIXED^^
    Last edited by Straube63; 04-26-2013 at 07:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.