Cylinder 1 Misfire Assistance on 02 Wrx Wagon

This is a discussion on Cylinder 1 Misfire Assistance on 02 Wrx Wagon within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So about a week ago i got the P0301 misfire code that popped on. Following Donkey's guide on ruling out ...

Cylinder 1 Misfire Assistance on 02 Wrx Wagon

So about a week ago i got the P0301 misfire code that popped on. Following Donkey's guide on ruling out some of the problems, ive ruled out some possibilities.

1. Its not the spark plug/s. I replaced them with ngk iridiums that were gapped at .30. Ive also cleaned the coils and bolts with crc electronics cleaner.

2. Replaced the fuel filter (which I think got rid of a previous issue of mine haha) and am currently running a bottle of Seafoam through the engine now.

3. Its not the coil/coilpack. I swapped 1 and 3 and the misfire is still in the same cylinder.

4. I do not have a lightweight flywheel or crank pulley.

So the misfire is solely isolated to cylinder 1. What issues could cause the singular misfire?

Some other information. ~127,000mi on the car. Car runs on 93 pump gas here in MO (quiktrip if anyone cares). Its been tuned by a tuning shop (ET Tuning in Union MO).
    It runs smoothly and without any issues. Consistent and full boost, so I dont think there is a vacuum or preturbo leak.

Whats left to check would be:

-valve clearances & compression. Leakdown/compression test on that single cylinder.
    -cam timing?
    -O2 sensor possibly?
    -Injector?

Any ideas besides that? Also, as I dont notice any irregularities while driving, is it safe to continue to daily drive with that cel on? I dont want to damage the engine.
    Last edited by Skyswordsman; 04-22-2013 at 08:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Try reading the spark plug.

NGK Spark Plugs USA

Post a pic. Other then that maybe a valve issue. But start with the easy stuff.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Try reading the spark plug.

NGK Spark Plugs USA

Post a pic. Other then that maybe a valve issue. But start with the easy stuff.
    I replaced all 4 plugs with new iridiums so its not the plugs. I bought an injector on eBay so well see what happens on that.