2002 WRX starter issues

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX starter issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is my first post so bear with me. I just bought a 2002 WRX 130xxx miles w/ AEM Intake ...

2002 WRX starter issues

This is my first post so bear with me.

I just bought a 2002 WRX 130xxx miles w/ AEM Intake & HKS Exhaust. (from an old lady, how awesome is that)

After a few days & a few hundred miles my car decided not to start anymore. It sounded like the starter was not completely engaging the flywheel I would just hear the starter spin and occasionally grind on the flywheel but never crank the motor. So obviously panic set in, I did a lot of forum surfing and found a couple possibilites 1. starter needs to be regressed 2. the starter solenoid is not working properly and needs to be replaced or 3. the flywheel/starter has damaged teeth and needs to be replaced.

I decided I would pull out the starter check to see if there was any noticeable damage. So I found http://www.wrxtra.com/Documentation/doc-1002.pdf good instructions on pulling off the intercooler except for one part where it says stand on the drivers side and wiggle it out but I found it was easier on the passenger side using a 3/8 socket extension to push on the tab on the turbo-to-intercooler hose with one hand and while wiggling it off with the other. I spent 20-30 minutes trying to pull it off from drivers side and 2 minutes to actually remove it from passenger side. After I finally got the intercooler out I went to take off the starter and noticed it was loose! I've never been so happy I tightened it up put the intercooler back in and BAM worked great.

In conclusion if your experiencing this problem spend the hour and check to see if its tight, free and easy fix.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Urgghh the intercooler with OEM hoses... taking it off isn't a big hassle, it's putting it back on that sucks, IMO.
    Congrats on the purchase

When you mentioned "old lady" I instantly remembered this article:
    "Mad Men" And Mango Lemonade | Secret Life of Scientists & Engineers | PBS

HAHA.. thats an awesome story I wish my grandma was like that. As far as putting the intercooler back on I just used a long flat head screwdriver and used the other side of the tab on the turbo-to-intercooler house and pried it on using the intercooler-to-throttle body area was extreamly easy and I dont think i broke anything.