UOA - 2011 WRX - PU 5w30SN - 7,405 Miles

This is a discussion on UOA - 2011 WRX - PU 5w30SN - 7,405 Miles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Some of you guys may find this interesting... This oil change interval cycle was done at around 8 months duration ...

KHP

UOA - 2011 WRX - PU 5w30SN - 7,405 Miles

Some of you guys may find this interesting...

This oil change interval cycle was done at around 8 months duration and 7,405 miles. Oil used was Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 SN and oil filter was Subaru OE blue filter. Engine consumed ~.5qt of oil not enough to warrant a top off(from full to about half way on the dipstick). It looks like my insoluble % is trending up. I'll keep an eye on this on my next used oil analysis cycle.

I've been forced to switch to a "higher quality" aftermarket oil filter (Purolator PureONE) on my current fill. This is after I realized that the Subaru oil filter I had on hand was a part of a recall. I guess I'll see if this new filter helps bring my insoluble % down.

It's also interesting to see that Pennzoil Ultra is a lot more resistant to shearing. This can be seen on samples dated 04/05/13 & 08/12/12.

Code:
    Miles on Oil -------- 7,405 ------ 7,480 ------ 7,538 ------ 3,744 ----- 2,718
    Miles on Unit        29,925       22,520       15,040        7,502       3,758
    Sample Date        04/05/13     08/12/12     02/04/12     07/23/11    03/12/11       Unit   Universal
    Make Up Oil added ---- 0Qts ------- 0Qts ---- 0.75Qts ------- 0Qts ------ 0Qts   Averages    Averages

Aluminum ---------------- 5 ---------- 4 ---------- 5 ---------- 4 --------- 5 -------- 5 --------- 4
    Chromium                  1            1            1            1           0          1           1
    Iron                     13           12           16           17          13         14           9
    Copper ------------------ 4 ---------- 6 ---------- 8 ---------- 8 --------- 7 -------- 7 --------- 8
    Lead                      0            0            0            0           0          0           4
    Tin                       0            0            0            0           5          1           1
    Molybdenum ------------- 55 --------- 52 --------- 64 -------- 109 ------- 247 ------ 105 -------- 74
    Nickel                    1            1            1            0           0          1           0
    Manganese                 1            3            0            0           1          1           1
    Silver ------------------ 0 ---------- 0 ---------- 0 ---------- 0 --------- 0 -------- 0 --------- 0
    Titanium                  2            2            2            3           0          2           0
    Potassium                 4            3            5            2           0          3           2
    Boron ------------------ 47 --------- 51 --------- 34 --------- 62 -------- 21 ------- 43 -------- 48
    Silicon                   6            6            8           10          18         10          11
    Sodium                    5            6           31           38           2         16          27
    Calcium -------------- 2549 ------- 2175 ------- 1155 ------- 2678 ------ 2186 ----- 2149 ------ 2083
    Magnesium                36          101          639           19          11        161         305
    Phosphorus              758          624          660          789         706        707         783
    Zinc ------------------ 927 -------- 752 -------- 786 -------- 936 ------- 741 ------ 828 ------- 932
    Barium                    0            0            0            0           0          0           0

Values
                                                                                   Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210F - 59.3 ------- 57.9 ------- 55.2 ------- 56.4 ------ 53.9  55.8-65.2
    cSt Viscosity @ 100C  10.02         9.62         8.83         9.19        8.46   9.3-12.5
    Flashpoint in F         405          400          405          385         400       >365
    Fuel % --------------- <0.5 ------- <0.5 ------- <0.5 ------- <0.5 ------ <0.5 ----- <2.0
    Antifreeze %            0.0          0.0          0.0            ?         0.0        0.0
    Water %                 0.0          0.0          0.0          0.0         0.0       <0.1
    Insolubles % ---------- 0.4 -------- 0.3 -------- 0.3 -------- 0.2 ------- 0.2 ----- <0.6
    TBN                     2.6          2.4          3.6                                >1.0
    TAN                     3.0          5.0          5.0
    ISO Code ------------ PU5W30SN --- PU5W30SN -- M1EP5W30SN - M1EP5W30SM - MbilCln5K5w30SM

* THIS COLUMN APPLIES ONLY TO THE CURRENT SAMPLE
    Last edited by KHP; 04-15-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I am currently using the same oil and filter. Looks like I will stick with it. I did have some consumption, more than you. It's something I will be looking into and its probably because of the AOS and maybe a loose connection. If you get more UOAs make sure to post them!
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    I am currently using the same oil and filter. Looks like I will stick with it. I did have some consumption, more than you. It's something I will be looking into and its probably because of the AOS and maybe a loose connection. If you get more UOAs make sure to post them!
    Yeah Pennzoil Ultra is an exceptional oil. I would consider it about equal to the boutique Amsoil Signature Series line of motor oils. If I were you and you're considering running this oil for future oil changes consider running to your local Walmart and stockpile whatever Pennzoil Ultra you can find.

Walmart has been clearing out Pennzoil Ultra at $21 for 5Qt jug and $5 for Qt bottles for the past two months and is nowhere to be found locally here. The only place that have some left are auto parts stores that charge $9+ per quart bottle .

I did and I have enough supply to last my WRX for the next 5 years.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup that's where I get mine. Such great prices on oil over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the changes in insoluble a over time significant enough to be a trend? They vary by 0.01 or so.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Are the changes in insoluble a over time significant enough to be a trend? They vary by 0.01 or so.
    That's a good point. It may just be noise territory for all I know, but I can't really see much else to worry about. The insoluble % are the only one showing a tiny activity. I guess if it increases to .5-.6% then it may need a closer looking at. It'll be interesting to see what a higher efficiency oil filter (99% at 40um) compared to unknown OE Filter efficiency does to the insoluble %.
    Last edited by KHP; 04-16-2013 at 10:31 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just out of curiosity, what made you choose PU over Rotella T6? It seems like everyone on here raves about that stuff.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what made you choose PU over Rotella T6? It seems like everyone on here raves about that stuff.
    I wanted to keep within factory oil spec due to the factory warranty. That sent me out to find the best 5w30 Energy Conserving oil that actually holds up in our engines. I ended up finding PU and now I love this motor oil.
    Last edited by KHP; 04-17-2013 at 11:14 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    I wanted to keep within factory oil spec due to the factory warranty. That sent me out to find the best 5w30 Energy Conserving oil that actually holds up in our engines. I ended up finding PU and now I love this motor oil.
    That's how I ended up using it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think it's easy to find a bad oil, at least among the mainstream brands.

Are they discontinuing the PU? That's a shame.

I now buy any synthetic 40 wt on sale, indiscriminately, based solely on price. I've seen no data that raise concerns over any of them. I'd do the same with 30s if I had to follow warranty spec.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

A little off topic but, does anybody know what kind of oil my 2013 wrx has in it from the factory ( brand new ).

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't think it's easy to find a bad oil, at least among the mainstream brands.

Are they discontinuing the PU? That's a shame.

I now buy any synthetic 40 wt on sale, indiscriminately, based solely on price. I've seen no data that raise concerns over any of them. I'd do the same with 30s if I had to follow warranty spec.
    It looks like PU is being discontinued. There's been a wide clearing out of them at WM and some auto parts stores without stock replenishment. Someone from another forum (BITOG) contacted Shell and they're denying discontinuation of the Ultra line, but retail store stock says the opposite. I got my ultra stash for about $3.50/qt after WM clearance prices and Pennzoil rebates which is a good deal for such an excellent oil.

The only concern with other multi-grade 30 weight oils is they tend to shearing down in grade to 20 a weight. This at least true for the top tier M1 oil that I have tried and I'm not very comfortable with that. It'll take a while to work through my PU stash, but after that then I'll have to find another oil good enough to keep its rated viscosity.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1587 View Post
    A little off topic but, does anybody know what kind of oil my 2013 wrx has in it from the factory ( brand new ).
    Probably "Genuine Subaru Synthetic Oil 5w30". I believe it's manufactured by Idemitsu which makes excellent oils as well. You can't go wrong with that oil as it's sold by Subaru though it maybe pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Probably "Genuine Subaru Synthetic Oil 5w30". I believe it's manufactured by Idemitsu which makes excellent oils as well. You can't go wrong with that oil as it's sold by Subaru though it maybe pricey.
    Thanks for the reply, I wasn't even sure if it was synthetic or not new from the factory.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1587 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I wasn't even sure if it was synthetic or not new from the factory.
    Don't worry lol. Factory fill is definitely a high quality synthetic oil.

If you see my UOA above I ran a conventional oil for a short 2,700 miles. This is all easy driving barely exceeding 3,000 RPM's at times. The engine sheared the viscosity way into 20 grade territory. Our engines definitely requires quality synthetic oil.
    Last edited by KHP; 04-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.