HELP: Paper-element (stock) filter SUCKED INTO TURBO??!

This is a discussion on HELP: Paper-element (stock) filter SUCKED INTO TURBO??! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; HELP!! It would seem that buying my WRX has brought a bad omen, effecting the car and points on my ...

HELP: Paper-element (stock) filter SUCKED INTO TURBO??!

HELP!!It would seem that buying my WRX has brought a bad omen, effecting the car and points on my own license. I'm concerned, here on my 4th day with my 4th problem.(and this one seems just a biiit bigger than the past 3).

Long story short, the previous owner had removed the plastic wheel well molding, with the two holes in the body open and exposed, for a previous full cold-air intake system application. He then replaced the factory airbox and paper filter assembly back on, because of weather, and never replaced the wheel well molding. This left the only cutout in the factory airbox directy over one of the holes in the body, and while it was optimal for a stock air flow, it was pretty much a bulls-eye for large water/puddle shots.So just to waste my breath a little more to summarize: The wheel well molding should have been replaced and/or a K&N style, stock application filter was needed to suit.

SO LAST NIGHT, WE WENT SCUBA DIVING.

The result, almost immediately following our swim, felt like a sporadic sputtering hesitation throughout the rpm band. It was pretty bad at first at the time of incident. I feel a loss of power >4500 rpm as if the turbo is dragging. As I rise through the RPM's past 5k (as if I'm trying to apply full boost, harder), it feels like it's failing and dropping off in power just as hard. The turbo boost's spike-to-hold came an even greater range; 18 to 12 respectively whereas before the swim, I would spike at 18 and hold at 15-16 lbs.

Any insight will be very helpful!(except for letting me know that I'm a tard, I already know it lol)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-04-12 18.11.26.jpg   2013-04-12 18.13.05.jpg   2013-04-12 18.12.20.jpg   2013-04-12 18.13.31.jpg   2013-04-12 18.13.50.jpg  

2013-04-12 18.14.43.jpg   2013-04-12 18.15.19.jpg