Subaru WRX Forum banner

Problems =( Car dying, no power, bogs.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  UEDan 
#1 · (Edited)
Problems =( Car stalling, no power, bogs.

So I'm driving home from work and notice the car lose all power and has a hard time passing 2.5k RPMs.
Then it dies on me. Sit in a parking lot for a sec and check everything out, oil fine, coolant fine.
Start it again, idles fine. Goes around the parking lot fine, but when I take it on the streets same thing happens, cant rev past 3k, loss of power, dies. More gas I give it the worst it seems to be.
Sit at a lot for a little bit longer, for stuff to cool down. Took surface streets home. .5 miles away from home car loses power and dies. Had a hard time starting and keeping it idle. Sit in middle lane for 1 minutes. Car starts and I limp to a parking lot. Stay there for about 15 minutes and drive home. No problem boosts fine. But I know this isn't the last of my problem.
Can anyone explain my problem?

Mods:
Catless Up
Stage 1 tune.

I'm looking at a particular component to be the problem, but want to head opinions first. Thanks.

See less See more
#7 ·
Any specific parameters? Will be checking fuel pressure. An no CEL

What year?

Could be anything from a bad oil pump to a bad tps. It could really be a lot of things man.
I'm leaning away from TPS for sure because I couldn't even get the revs up in a lower gear.

I hope you mean fuel pump?
Yeah, this is second on the list. It was extra loud...

Who knows..He needs to check his oil pressure. I had a similar problem with another car and it turned out to be that my oil pump crapped out and I was running with 5 spun rod bearings. He also needs to check all other vitals such as fuel pressure, fuel level, oil pressure/level, compression, spark, and test some of the sensors for power if all the other stuff checks out. That's just what I suggest from my experiences. I'm sure you guys have similar suggestions for him. :)
Weird thing is I could not get it up to speed in a low gear.

I'm leaning towards clogged downpipe. 146k miles on it. My uppipe was clogged last year. And the second downstream cat was slightly smoking. Could it have caused all of this? With work I have been taking lots of short trips lately and with my mileage...

Thanks a lot guys.

Posted from a fone.

#6 ·
Who knows..He needs to check his oil pressure. I had a similar problem with another car and it turned out to be that my oil pump crapped out and I was running with 5 spun rod bearings. He also needs to check all other vitals such as fuel pressure, fuel level, oil pressure/level, compression, spark, and test some of the sensors for power if all the other stuff checks out. That's just what I suggest from my experiences. I'm sure you guys have similar suggestions for him. :)

#8 ·
I'd honestly check fuel filter first. Start simple. They are known to get clogged, especially at high mileage. It may allow adequate fuel pressure to pass through at cruise around a parking lot, but once you start giving it more gas, it just might not be able to do it.

#9 · (Edited)
I'll double check, I actually changed and relocated my fuel filter... 6k ago-ish.
Thing is that doesn't explain my inability to keep the revs up in a lower gear. Whatevers I'll check it out anyways. Thanks Mikie. Man I really wish I had a wideband right now...

And as of this morning, it drives just fine. Fuel economy is crap...ier than usual.
I'm also thinking my MAF is going bad. Learned A/F is has been interesting as of late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.