Hard Drop at 7000rpm in 1st
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hard Drop at 7000rpm in 1st within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 06 wrx tr that's go a few mods. Ive noticed that as soon as I hit 7000rpm ...

Hard Drop at 7000rpm in 1st

I have an 06 wrx tr that's go a few mods. Ive noticed that as soon as I hit 7000rpm in 1st gear it drops really hard, and I mean obnoxiously hard almost like I jumped on the break hard for a second. I don't know what it is and I only have it happen in 1st gear. 1st-4th gears have been recently changed in the tranny. heres a list of all my mods
    - cobb springs 1.5" drop
    - HKS ssv non recirculating blow off valve
    - front vented rotors
    - sti rear wing
    - short throw shifter
    - SPT 3" stainless cat back exhaust
    - 3" catless down pipe with cast bell mouth and port for wide band o2 sensor
    - IHI VF48 turbo upgrade (08' sti turbo), ported wastegate
    - 2" catless up pipe
    - gm typhoon boost control solenoid
    - perrin red inlet
    - perrin red intercooler coupling
    - cobb turbo heat shield ( painted red w/ perrin decal )
    - stock modified fuel injectors ( 825 cc)
    - Cusco oil catch can
    - HKS double d short ram intake with special edition red filter
    - custom tuned by Keith Fields of Dallas Subaru Tuner | Performance Subaru Tuning, Dallas TX - AWDTuning.com 287whp, 299wtq at 20 lb of boost. Reliable tune has been on the car for 2 years now.
    - all fluids changed at 104, 776. Replaced oil cooler gasket at that time, castrol synthetic oil
    - timing belt, spark plugs (NGK LRF7AIX), thermostat, drive belts replaced at 100, 000
    - transmission has new 1-4 gears with syncros and bearings, changed around 104200 miles( lost 2nd, replaced it all)
    - new factory clutch set (disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)
    - new 225/40zr18 falken ziex ze612 tires from discount tire with recipts
    - ceramic brake pads front and rear over 90% left

have about 107000 miles on it now

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What's your rev limit set at? You might just be hitting the limiter.. no reason to rev that high with a VF turbo anyways.

I only wind up that high because I play it by ear and it never sounds like its reved up so high until the car lets me know, I had to watch it after a few times to see where it was happening. Idk what the rev limiter is set to I just bought it recently and didn't think to ask him that. Its only my second manual and my first was an 02 rsx-s which would go deep into the redzone without hitting the limiter so this is a new feeling to me that was scary as **** the first few times it happened

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's turbo's powerband is going to be between 4000 and 6000 rpm, so if you're racing you'll do better shifting at 6200 to 6500rpm.. plus, unless your heads are built it's not going to be good for them to rev that high anyways. Going "by ear" sounds like a good way to bend valves.

In the five years I've owned my current WRX I have never hit the rev limiter..

alright good to know ill have to be a little more cautious before I mess my engine up

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.