first Blackstone oil report on BlueRex

This is a discussion on first Blackstone oil report on BlueRex within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have used Blackstone off and on for years. Usually about every other oil change on my vehicles. This is ...

I Support ClubWRX

first Blackstone oil report on BlueRex

I have used Blackstone off and on for years. Usually about every other oil change on my vehicles. This is the first report I did on the WRX. Current mileage is 13,300, and it was done on the third fill of oil since it's birth. oil sample had 5,590 miles on it.

2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

awesome! thanks for sharing. When did you do the first oil change? After the initial break in period (1k) or the factory recommended after break in (3,800)

I Support ClubWRX
    So this is M1 5W-30? I'm impressed at the low numbers despite the motor being so young. How is your consumption? The slight fuel could be short commute related? Nice report.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    i did the first oil change at 2K miles, then 7500, now 13,300. I'm shooting for 5K miles, just running over a bit.

Actually SD I never make short commutes. 90% of the mileage on the car is highway to and from work, and to and from neighboring bigger towns. generally a half hour trip at the short end.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok thanks for clarifying.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of actual data. This is an extremely useful post!

Congrats.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is surprisingly only the second Blackstone I've done on the WRX. I thought I had done another but I guess not. I do them on the Jeep and the WRX so I don't do them every oil change (too expensive). Definitely going to get another one sometime this year. I think it looks pretty good. Let me know what you think.

I Support ClubWRX
    The insolubles are quite low, you must be using a great oil filter. Also I find it interesting that your viscosity is still terrific despite the concerns people have expressed over the years about M1 (you're still using M1, right?).

Did you really not add any makeup oil?

\_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, M1. I did not add any oil at all. the filter is Mobil 1. It's pricey but good. solid and heavy. I have used Mobil 1 for about 15 years. First and only synthetic oil I've ever used on any vehicle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's my latest blackstone report from June 20. Went a bit longer than I wanted but seems to be ok. Did not add any oil since the previous oil change, and again using M1 oil and filter.

I Support ClubWRX
    So not only are wear metals low but the M1 retained correct viscosity throughout.

Where are the "M1 is bad for Subies because we say so and we're on the internet" choir?

Nice data! I'd not change anything, I'd just keep it topped up.