No Positive Boost
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on No Positive Boost within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I just picked up an 2003 WRX sedan this weekend, and everything was going fine with it until ...

No Positive Boost

Hey all,

I just picked up an 2003 WRX sedan this weekend, and everything was going fine with it until today. I did an intake snorkus delete in the right fender this morning, and took the car out for a drive. It was boosting just fine. I then gave my buddy a ride, I got on it through third, and suddenly lost all boost pressure above 0. We pulled the battery cables, same problem. The car isn't leaking any oil or anything. I've heard that it could be that the stock up pipe cat can deteriorate and jam into the turbo, causing a lack of boost. Also, the car is stock as far as I know except for the intake snorkus delete. Unfortunately, I have work and school for the next three days until midnight, so I cannot have it looked at until Wednesday 4/3. If anyone has any knowledge or has experienced this, please help! Thank you!

-Justin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    boost pressure above 0? What are you gauging this off? Do you have a boost gauge or are you logging from the ECU?

You should be hitting at least 7psi no matter what due to the wastegate actuator having a 7psi spring in it. Do you have the stock turbo? Any other modifications done to the car?

EDIT: Also, just to clarify, we are speaking psi relative to atmospheric, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I have a factory boost gauge, even under full throttle, I am at 0 boost, and you can't feel any kind of boost. It's as if someone took my turbo out, but the car runs just fine otherwise. The turbo is stock and I have no modifications besides the air box snorkus delete.

I am talking in terms of atm. I start at around -0.5, and and full throttle will only rise to 0
    Last edited by WhateverWRX; 04-01-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Semantically speaking, there is only positive boost, there is no negative. That is called vacuum, so you just have no boost.

Mechanically speaking, I'm betting the charge piping came off somewhere. Check that the intercooler is properly seated and the pipe couplings are securely fastened.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.