02 wrx new o2 sensor still throwing CEL HELP.!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 wrx new o2 sensor still throwing CEL HELP.!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my subie <3 the air intake fpr the bay spark plugs were cracked and hella old got new ones tho ...

my subie <3

the air intake

fpr

the bay

spark plugs were cracked and hella old got new ones tho

another pic of the bay with everything assembled

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

with the pictures i took hopefully you guys can help if your still paying attention to my post if you need any other specific pictures let me know ill post them immidiately im still doing a couple of things to the car to see if that will help like adding some grounds and following every step that you gave me with that one link about all the cylinders misfiring

im waiting on the new oem spark plugs to come in.

Update I installed the oem spark plugs and rechecked everything still threw a cel I went to auto zone and they told me its throwing 5 codes now cylinder 123 are misfiring still 4th one stopped still got the o2 sensor code as well still stumped on what could be happening

BUMP.!! No one can shine some light in this issue.?!? I already tried everything on the misfiring link and nothing cleared up :/

UPDATE.!! Well since I've gotten all the help I can get I added some stuff to the car.. now I'm going to post what I did to fix the misfire that was happening with my Subaru since I've looked through the forums and most of the ppl that post here about their problems never post about the solution and leave the thread incomplete..

So I go to the auto parts store here it's called orileys. (They are hella cool with me and always hook me up) Anyway well i pop the hood and change the spark plugs to the NGK PLATINUM OEM spark plugs I threw them bad bitches on and no luck still misfiring so I gave up n I was going to sell it but I said eh what the hell might as well keep trying and I thought about my old 240sx that was having some similar problems

So I go to the orileys AGAIN and they hook me up with a couple of grounds cuz I explained what was happening and what I wanted to try i get home and start throwing grounds on that bitch from the throttle body to the chassi and from the block to the chassi as well I put them according to where the cylinders are and keep in mind the battery was disconnected while I was doing this. I start the car and I can feel the difference.!!

So with that being added I didn't think much about it so I go to the autozone so they can check the codes because the CEL came back on they check for the codes and it read I had 2 codes now .!! No more misfire.!! Thank god so i see what the codes are for and it's throwing a P0171 witch it already had and a P0037 as well witch it already had as well witch is bank system 1 too lean and o2 sensor

So I still have some things to work on but I'm thankful I got all the MISFIRE ON ALL CYLINDERS FIXED I was ****ting bricks when i saw that code started from the bottom now we here jk started with 9 codes now there's only 2 to worry about good **** well ill see what is causing the two other codes keep in mind I also went to the orileys to recheck the codes again just to be sure and the misfire is gone for sure

All I need now is to fix the other two and I'm done again thanks for the help ill post an update once I fix the other two codes and see what fixed them (not like anyone is paying attention to this thread anyway) but thanks again for the info and help.!

I Support ClubWRX
    OK saw your post.

Side comments: Your car is an early 02. I am astonished your radiator does not leak.

The PO171 could be due to a dirty MAF (or leaks in the intake or boost; since you have an open filter and a BOV, you by definition have leaks in the intake so we can't help that). Try MAF cleaner. Clean the filter, do NOT over oil it, clean the inside of the intake, clean the MAF with MAF cleaner only and gently, and see if that works for the PO171.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK saw your post.

Side comments: Your car is an early 02. I am astonished your radiator does not leak.

The PO171 could be due to a dirty MAF (or leaks in the intake or boost; since you have an open filter and a BOV, you by definition have leaks in the intake so we can't help that). Try MAF cleaner. Clean the filter, do NOT over oil it, clean the inside of the intake, clean the MAF with MAF cleaner only and gently, and see if that works for the PO171.
    Ok I'll try that first thing in the morning thanks for the advice ill also try to take it to a shop to see if they can boost leak test it with a smoke machine to see where exactly it's leaking from would the FMIC have anything to do with that code.? Just wondering I'm still looking through all the forums just so I don't keep asking stupid questions and look like a n00b

Haha n yea the car isn't leaking anything at all thankfully

I Support ClubWRX
    The FMIC necessitated the intake and BOV but other than that my guess is no.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    The P0037 is for the rear oxygen sensor heater circuit. Either the sensor is toast or not even there. The P0171 is a separate issue. Like Spiros said,start by cleaning the maf. My guess is going to be the BOV (as that style is notorious for leaking at idle) or the intake throwing off the MAF sensor scaling. I would assume the FMIC was probably a cheap "Ebay" kit (Godspeed/XS Turbo) that came with the intake and BOV. Could very well be leaking couplings. I would take the car to the nearest Subaru tuning shop and see if they can determine if the car has been tuned for the mods. I can see from the pics that it does not have the original turbo.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Has anyone else noticed it has a red Sti intake manifold. Is the engine swapped? That may help someone be able to diagnose it a little better.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordRanger View Post
    Has anyone else noticed it has a red Sti intake manifold. Is the engine swapped? That may help someone be able to diagnose it a little better.
    Yes. People paint the stock one all the time,or just swap it with the JDM one looking for "mo powa!!" (JDM one does not produce da "mo powa!"). Regardless the troubleshooting would be exactly the same even if the whole engine was swapped,for this particular issue.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordRanger View Post
    No, it's drive by cable and has TGVs. Therefore it is not a USDM STi manifold and not a JDM manifold. It has simply been painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yes. People paint the stock one all the time,or just swap it with the JDM one looking for "mo powa!!" (JDM one does not produce da "mo powa!"). Regardless the troubleshooting would be exactly the same even if the whole engine was swapped,for this particular issue.
    But... Red.....

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No, it's drive by cable and has TGVs. Therefore it is not a USDM STi manifold and not a JDM manifold. It has simply been painted.
    Well the V7 was drive by cable and did have "risers". People used to just buy the risers to delete the TGV's until it was found out how easy it was to just delete the stock ones.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, those really do look like TGV deletes. Good info.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

ok while snooping around i cleaned the maf and i also re-clamped the couplings on the IC piping now while i was in the process of doing that i found a hose that was not connected to anything it was near the drivers side by the throttle body

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast