SOMEONE HELP!!!

This is a discussion on SOMEONE HELP!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Good morning everyone, I own a 02 bugeye wagon and having some weird problems that I can't figure out. About ...

SOMEONE HELP!!!

Good morning everyone,
    I own a 02 bugeye wagon and having some weird problems that I can't figure out. About a week ago it all started with a blinking CEL. I plugged in my Access port to read the codes and found a misfire for cylinders 1,2 and 3. I then pulled over to a parking lot for some quick checks. I reset ECU and and changed the map I had installed back to factory. After trying this, I then tried to drive her again. Same thing happened with blinking CEL. Ran the codes and found misfire on cylinders 2,3, and 4! I decided to just park and get a ride to work. After getting off work I picked up a MAF cleaner and some basic tools. I arrived and began cleaning the MAF with the spray. Crossed my fingers and turned the key! Immediately blinking CEL. I checked the codes and it came back cylinders 1 and 2 misfire. I then reset ECU again and waited about 10 mins with battery unplugged as I look over the whole engine. I then plugged battery in and gave it another try. Came back with no luck and now cylinders 1, 2, 3 and 4 are misfiring. I decided to unplug the MAF and drive it home since the engine runs a lot better with it unplugged. Got home and had a buddy come by with his bugeye and we swapped MAF's just to double check. Did some checking for grounds just to make sure all were connected. I have done a seafoam treatment along with a full check of all vacuum/boost lines. The CEL codes are not consistent and change from cylinder to cylinder. I've searched every forum I can think of and can't quite find people with same symptoms as myself. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

That is a nicely organized list of all the things you should check when you have misfire codes.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks man! I have read that post before and it gave me good insight for troubleshooting. I've done most of the troubleshooting it states. What I don't get is why the codes are bouncing around from cylinder to cylinder. Sometimes it's 1 and 2 .....sometimes 2, 3 and 4. I get every possibly combination you can get from the 4 cylinders. Most of the time it's all 4 or just 1 and 2!! There's about to be a wagon for sale lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Given your circumstances, I'd highlight this one:

Cam timing. Check cam timing per the service manual. Clean cam sensor face.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thanks. Ill give that a try right now

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScOoBy DuDe02 View Post
    Thanks. Ill give that a try right now
    I'd clean the contacts for the plug on that sensor too.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

FWIW, and I have an 06, but I had a similar experience with misfire codes getting set for various cyls. It was maddening. I had two shops work on it over a period of nine months!. It came down to sticky valve lifters. They have to remove the valve covers and check the clearance between the cam lobes and the lifters. If they're outside a certain range (don't know what that range is) then that lifter is bad and needs to be replaced. It's about a $1200-$1400 job. I haven't had an issue since.