Boosting 50% after replacing turbo. 2002 WRX

This is a discussion on Boosting 50% after replacing turbo. 2002 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently replaced my TD04 turbo with another TD04 (used from a tuner shop 0 shaft play unknown miles) due to ...

Boosting 50% after replacing turbo. 2002 WRX

Recently replaced my TD04 turbo with another TD04 (used from a tuner shop 0 shaft play unknown miles) due to it failing ( very loud whine when boosting not normal spool sound ) I replaced the turbo my self, I now notice I am only boosting about 50% of what I should be.. Unless after replacing my boost gauge is off.. It definitely feels slower I don't get that throw back into the seat feeling.. I was wondering did I need to get a tune after replacing? Or possible air leak? I will be pulling it apart Monday on my day off to check all the hoses/clamps and Y pipe for cracks.. I just wanted to get a definite answer to the tune question.

The car is stock except for a cat back exhaust.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Chuck2002WRX; 03-24-2013 at 01:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like the boost control system isn't working correctly - you are just boosting to the wastegate spring pressure.

If you had a leak in that system, you would overboost not underboost. So that leavves the boost control solenoid (on the top box) and the restrictor pill.

Verify all of this first:

Take and pull on the arm that goes between W and the turbo - is there any pre-tension? It should be springy from the get go. I would assume that is fine.

The car would have to be running extremely poorly for the ECU to pull that.

A boost leak is a possibility, but I would think it would be pretty loud at that amount.
    Last edited by mycologist; 03-24-2013 at 03:43 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Thank you for the reply.

How springy should the arm be? It's a bit hard to get a good pull on it because the heat shield is covering it at the moment. It has tension could not pull it at all. I will take the heat shield off tomorrow so I can get a better pull at it and check it. The car runs smooth not ruff at all just does not have the power. Is there anyway to test the boost solenoid and or restrictor pill? Or do I just need to replace?

Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well if you are hitting half boost the spring tension is probably right (unless that is a coincidence). If you plug the BCS directly into 12V (or sometimes you can just use the test mode for the car with the green connectors) you should hear it click.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb