Trans whining at any speed (sound clip)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Trans whining at any speed (sound clip) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So here's the skinny: '02 bugeye wagon, 151kmi. No mods, save the intake. 5-speed. I'm getting a whining/whirring sound coming ...

Question Trans whining at any speed (sound clip)

So here's the skinny:

'02 bugeye wagon, 151kmi. No mods, save the intake. 5-speed.

I'm getting a whining/whirring sound coming from what I've narrowed down to my trans. The sound starts about 20mph, and gets louder and slightly higher pitched from there. Happens with clutch engaged or not, definitely not the brakes or (from what I can tell) the half shafts. Definitely not wheel bearings as there's no rumbling, grinding, etc. Also not coming from the rear diff.

My local mechanic told me it's the counterbalance shaft in the trans....which I'm very iffy about.

Here's the sound clip. You'll hear it start up, a few shifts later it gets very pronounced. I'm wondering if anyone can help identify this before I end up with a full trans rebuild or something.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86b617jja3...ns%20whine.m4a

1min clip.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

*bump*

Still need some ideas if anyone has any.

I Support ClubWRX
    Start by doing a fluid change with full synthetic.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Tough to say really...it's making the noise in a constantly increasing fashion. It only gets lower slightly when you get off the gas to shift, but then it picks back up again...so perhaps the center diff instead?

Cause when you shift, you'll change gears in the transmission and the sound should get lower again due to the RPMs dropping in accordance to a lower gear. So, your engine/transmission speed gets lower, however the whining stays constant...

I dunno...am I talking out of my rear here? Trying to think logically about it
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I'll probably drain it and refill it fresh this weekend, but I'm not sure I want to dump synthetic in at this stage in it's life. Will keep ya posted. Cross your fingers for me, lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.