Weird Clunk Noise When Start Up And At Low Idle.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Weird Clunk Noise When Start Up And At Low Idle. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 subaru wrx, 110k miles, grimspeed control, 50/50 BOV, headers, cold air, it makes a weird clunking ...

Weird Clunk Noise When Start Up And At Low Idle.

I have a 2002 subaru wrx, 110k miles, grimspeed control, 50/50 BOV, headers, cold air, it makes a weird clunking noise at start up, and than at higher rpm it isn't there. Than at idle I can hear the clunking noise as well, but sometimes i cannot. I can only hear it when I am in the car, when I pop the hood to try and find it, I cannot locate the sound at all. I have read the forum and have read many reasons, But some say it can be the starter? I have had an issue with the starter sometimes grinding but not often. Also, some say it can be a piston slap, but would you hear that out of the car? Also, when I turn the car off, it makes the clunking noise before dying. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful. Thank you in advance. This is my first Subaru and my first time to this thread. Just paranoid about the whole sound.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tune?

You should take a picture of the noises so we can hear it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Tune?

You should take a picture of the noises so we can hear it.

I will take a video of it when I get home and post the URL from YouTube since I cannot post videos yet. And it got tuned a week before I bought it. This morning it did it on the start up. But didn't do it at low idle.

Here are the two videos of the noise my car is making. The first one is at start up, the second one is at idle. It does it while decelerating and not accelerating. Any help is appreciated.

that kind of a clunk I'm hearing sounds like there might be worn mounts or bushings...kind of what I'm dealing with in my car.

I'd check your transmission mount, as well as rear differential bushings.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    that kind of a clunk I'm hearing sounds like there might be worn mounts or bushings...kind of what I'm dealing with in my car.

I'd check your transmission mount, as well as rear differential bushings.
    Thanks. That's exactly what I am on my way to do too. Going to go throw it on my lift and check them out. And everything else. I will let you know what's going on.

So I replaced the starter cause it sort of needed it. But the clunking was the inter cooler hitting the firewall, the screws on the mounts came loose, so I pulled the inter cooler down and tightened it up and the clunking went away. I hope you find out what's wrong with yours. Thanks for your help.

How about that. Good sleuthing!

I'm almost positive my rear diff mount bushings and the rear subframe bushings are just toast. I have replacements for them, it's just a pain to get under there and replace them. The rear diff mount bushings might just be the most annoying thing to upgrade on a Subaru...the subframe bushings aren't hard...but it's also cold out and has been a ****ty winter. But...Spring is here!

Check the starter mounting bolts for tightness. This is the most common reason for clunking/ grinding noise.

Quote Originally Posted by riyarobin View Post
    Check the starter mounting bolts for tightness. This is the most common reason for clunking/ grinding noise.
    Almost a year old??? OP already fixed his issue??? I don't have that car anymore???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.