burning oil fast, cant figure it out - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on burning oil fast, cant figure it out within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; haha ok. sooo your hypothesis is its either... piston rings, PCV valve, turbo, valve cover gaskets (which wouldnt cause it ...

haha ok. sooo your hypothesis is its either... piston rings, PCV valve, turbo, valve cover gaskets (which wouldnt cause it to come from the exhaust) cam seals, or "something like that". haha. so...this is right where i was. instead of just throwing parts at it, id like to find the origin and fix that. maybe a AOS would be something good in the future but right now i have a bigger problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lol sorta. Pcv or piston rings will cause the smoke. From the exhaust oh and if your heads are breathing bad to.

If your bov is return check the return hose for oil residue and also your turbo inlet. If theres oil in there then your engine is breathing heavy.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

can you explain what "engine is breathing heavy" means? sorry, haha i have a good understanding of engines but not a huge amount of experience. trying to increase both at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by dillonhiemer View Post
    can you explain what "engine is breathing heavy" means? sorry, haha i have a good understanding of engines but not a huge amount of experience. trying to increase both at every opportunity.
    Im not one hundred percent sure but from what I can say is high miles and everything is wearing. Some more then other due to use and abuse and it just tends to breathe alot more meaning the oil sorta pushes out the breather holes in the crank case and the heads. Someone like google might shed some more light on my knowledge but I k ow what it looks like and it looks like oil sitting in and around the I take system due to thats where all the hoses run to.

So if you drive hard alot. You'll see more oil then. Normal

Using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    ok so your telling me and AOS would solve all my oil burning problems?! haha im confused now. unless my problem was occuring somewhere in the intake or turbo system, an AOS would be useless to my issues, correct?

AND, if it WAS occuring in the intake/turbo/IC area, why wouldnt i just fix the actual problem, instead of getting an AOS?

OR, is it that there may be no problem at all, and you get a natural amount of oil in there which would be causing the large amounts of burning oil...???
    I was talking more to WRX22T. Unfortunately these cars burn oil. Even states in the owners manual that 1 qt every 1k miles is acceptable. Try using a 5w40 and toss in a can of seal conditioner. Generally the Rear main seal and valve cover gaskets are the main culprits for external leaks.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I was talking more to WRX22T. Unfortunately these cars burn oil. Even states in the owners manual that 1 qt every 1k miles is acceptable. Try using a 5w40 and toss in a can of seal conditioner. Generally the Rear main seal and valve cover gaskets are the main culprits for external leaks.
    Very true but I think he is talking about the smoke from the exhaust when the engines hot. But yes because of the design of our motors it does burn a slight amount but not that much to cause the bluish smoke from the exhaust. So its excessive amounts being burnt which is either the motor breathing to much or the piston rings arent sealing anymore.

But yes your right with the external leaks also the cam seals.

Using Tapatalk

so This morning I had someone else start the car and i watched the tailpipe--and yes! a puff of smoke, and then nothing until the car was ver warm later.

SO! valve stem seals seem very likely then, yes? i took the IC off, and there was literally no oil in the turbo that i could ascertain, and literally a drop in the IC where it attaches to the manifold. How much is too much? Also, in the elbow tube that goes from the turbo to the IC, it was really...greasy? and dirty? but no measurable amounts of oil....

Im getting a tune, and then well go from there, probly gettin another leakdown test.

From what I understand from my limited knowledge is that upon start up cold start if you see bluish smoke it's either valve seals or turbo seals. I don't see any way an external leak would cause oil to appear in your exhaust. The smoke coming from u del the hood although would be a sign of an external

so This morning I had someone else start the car and i watched the tailpipe--and yes! a puff of smoke, and then nothing until the car was ver warm later.

SO! valve stem seals seem very likely then, yes? i took the IC off, and there was literally no oil in the turbo that i could ascertain, and literally a drop in the IC where it attaches to the manifold. How much is too much? Also, in the elbow tube that goes from the turbo to the IC, it was really...greasy? and dirty? but no measurable amounts of oil....

Im getting a tune, and then well go from there, probly gettin another leakdown test.

In the elbow is basically a collection of dirty air and the oil from the pcv.

Just do a subaru upper engine clean. And go from there it could be oil in the inlet manifold. Also clean out the oil from the y pipe and around the tb

Using Tapatalk

Heres another question--forgive me if there is already another thread for this, but is there a surefire way to inspect a turbo to determine if its seals are bad? Upon FURTHER trouble shooting concerning this threads original issue, I am suspecting that when I replaced the turbo the first time, the replacement was bad. OR, my car is causing turbos to blow seals at the rapid rate. So if I get another one, how can I ensure it is good, or can a regular tuner shop tell me/the subaru dealer, or would I have to find someone more specialized for that?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.