burning oil fast, cant figure it out - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on burning oil fast, cant figure it out within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thanks for all the help. I changed the oil to 10w40 and it maybe helped a little. How much should ...

Thanks for all the help. I changed the oil to 10w40 and it maybe helped a little. How much should a leak down test run me? A local shop qouted me at.500$ (5hrs of work x 100$/hour for diagnose) that seemed a little steep.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dillonhiemer View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I changed the oil to 10w40 and it maybe helped a little. How much should a leak down test run me? A local shop qouted me at.500$ (5hrs of work x 100$/hour for diagnose) that seemed a little steep.
    5 shop hours for a leakdown test is obscene. No more than 3 shop hours.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Hey all, Im bringing this thread back from the dead. Why? because Im still have the same problems, with one new symptom, and some results from the leakdown test.

New symptom: everyone once in awhile i notice the same color smoke that comes from my exhaust, coming from under my hood/out the scoop. SO, this would obviously lead me to believe that not only is there some kind of oil getting [I]into[I] my system where it shouldnt be, but also escaping in a manner it should not be. what the heck!?

secondly, i had a local tuner shop perform a leakdown on it. they [I]said[I] (forgive me if this is weird or incorrect, this was done almost 9 months ago and my memory is spotty) it was my valve stem seals? or something to that effect. but i saw no paperwork on it and that was only after we talked about it. so im wondering if they just said that to get money out of me. they went out of business shortly afterward...interesting.

Anyways, what say you? please, shed some light on my diseased bugeyes condition.

I'm still interested in helping troubleshoot (by taking stabs in the dark); my car is aging and I need to be prepared.

Have you been able to find the source under the hood? Maybe an exhaust gasket is not properly working near the turbo or something.. this may be un-related to the oil burning, though.

I think that it's interesting that no CEL is triggered. My intuition says that if oil is being burned and creating a lot of smoke, it ought to look to the car like a "rich" fueling condition. Although I suppose that the car may be compensating for this.
    David - '05 WRX

Valve stem seals is definitely a possibility. Forgive me for not going back to the beginning. If it's smoking right after the engine has been idling like at a traffic light, or after going off the gas going down a hill and then getting back on, that's usually a sign for the valve stem seals. They can be replaced (I would expect with engine in place) but it's a bit of a job. The cams will have to come out and the valve springs. Then the valves have to be kept from falling into the cylinder. Best accomplished by doing one at a time and putting pressurized air into the spark plug hole of the cylinder under work.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I havent looked for the source of the external leak. im not as worried about that--im guessing a valve cover, which ill eventually do but it very rarely happens so its not a huge concern. The CEL is definitely on, but Im 95% sure that its because of my catless setup causing the sensors to trip.

I talked with a subaru mech on the phone yesterday, and he was saying that regardless, I should seriously consider a tune with a catless uppipe and DP. Considering i have those, im most likely running super rich, yes? I dont know if any of that would contribute to the problem, but im sure its not helping anything. That being said, other research has told me that a tune isnt really necessary for my year, with my mods. Any light shed on this would be awesome.

Ive also read that its very rare for the valve stem seals to go bad on this car, and guy at subaru said It wouldnt even show up on a leakdown test, if it didnt on a compression test. is this true? AND, it DOES NOT smoke, EVER, on cold start. only when its hot. so does this rule out valve stem seals..?

Lastly, im wondering if when i got my turbo changed, the shop didnt do some shady **** and put a less than perfect turbo on, and thats the problem? when i pulled my first turbo, it did have a little oil in it, but not gallons. whats a normal amount?
    Last edited by dillonhiemer; 01-18-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Hey mate.

I have this same problem well mostly mig this ht not be the same thing but is what I have done so far.

That is how bad mine is after 4000km.

my problem is the pcv valve. Or the crank case breather on the back of the block. Basically its breathing into the turbo inlet pipe right infront of the turbo and also into your TB. The tb one has a ball in it so it closes on boost but the other pipe is sucking air due to the turbo spooling even on full boost. Maybe look into having a catch can set up. Or a grimspeed AOS fitted to your car.

Hope this helps. Im from Australia. Sydney btw.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

interesting. I already replaced the PCV valve. as I wrote in earlier posts, when i went to replace it, the hose that was supposed to be on it was disconnected and covered in oil and junk. and when i replaced the valve and reconnected it, the car ran extremely rough for a few miles and then settled down.

That being said, could you elaborate on basically.. all of that? haha. I gathered that you inferred that there are 2 pcv valves? or one pcv valve, and something else? where would i find the TB one? Im assuming catch can/AOS would solve my issues only if i was getting a small leak in the system somewhere outside the actual engine.

interesting. I already replaced the PCV valve. as I wrote in earlier posts, when i went to replace it, the hose that was supposed to be on it was disconnected and covered in oil and junk. and when i replaced the valve and reconnected it, the car ran extremely rough for a few miles and then settled down.

That being said, could you elaborate on basically.. all of that? haha. I gathered that you inferred that there are 2 pcv valves? or one pcv valve, and something else? where would i find the TB one? Im assuming catch can/AOS would solve my issues only if i was getting a small leak in the system somewhere outside the actual engine.

Basically off that breather thats on the block it Tee's off. One goes directly infront of the turbo. So if you look straight down infront of your turbo it will be on the inlet.

And the othet one is basically underneath. So if you were to take your intercooler off (top mount) its underneath the throttle body you should see a hose that connects to it.

Using Tapatalk

Basically there. I blocked mine off

Using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Blocking it off is not the solution. There is a reason why the crankcase has to be vented and it is not for emissions. The solution would be an air/oil separator.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ok so your telling me and AOS would solve all my oil burning problems?! haha im confused now. unless my problem was occuring somewhere in the intake or turbo system, an AOS would be useless to my issues, correct?

AND, if it WAS occuring in the intake/turbo/IC area, why wouldnt i just fix the actual problem, instead of getting an AOS?

OR, is it that there may be no problem at all, and you get a natural amount of oil in there which would be causing the large amounts of burning oil...???

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Blocking it off is not the solution. There is a reason why the crankcase has to be vented and it is not for emissions. The solution would be an air/oil separator.

Before you jump to conclusions. I have a catch can set up and its vented to my turbo inlet

Using Tapatalk

I talked with a subaru mech on the phone yesterday, and he was saying that regardless, I should seriously consider a tune with a catless uppipe and DP.
    I suppose that now is as good a time as any to get a tune or at least start data logging, eh? I think a vag com cable can be used for both, if you're feeling industrious with a search engine.
    David - '05 WRX

ok so your telling me and AOS would solve all my oil burning problems?! haha im confused now. unless my problem was occuring somewhere in the intake or turbo system, an AOS would be useless to my issues, correct?

AND, if it WAS occuring in the intake/turbo/IC area, why wouldnt i just fix the actual problem, instead of getting an AOS?

OR, is it that there may be no problem at all, and you get a natural amount of oil in there which would be causing the large amounts of burning oil...???
    Imo. Unless your pistons rings are fudged and its burning oil that way.

I would say that irs just breathing heavy due to high miles and its blowing oil more then normal. And that way finding another place for the oil to go rather than into your motor to be burnt which causes detonation, and robs hp. An aos or catch can would be a good thing.

Unless your turbo. Valve cover gaskets. Cam seals or something like that is leaking.

Using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.