ABS light
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ABS light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, So today coming home from work, I was going down one of the mountains by me and my ...

Registered User MercWithaMouth41's Avatar

ABS light

Hi guys,

So today coming home from work, I was going down one of the mountains by me and my ABS, Hill Start Assist, and Vehicle Dynamics control warning light all came on simultaneously. Total control over the car was maintained, and didn't notice any noticeable change in handling. I waited till I made it down the mountain parked, cooled the car down and shut off for about 3 minutes. Upon startup, all the lights were off. I drove the rest of the way home without them coming back on. Now the owner's manual states that if any of these lights come during driving, you should bring car into service. My question is since the lights went off after shutting down and starting back off and staying off, was this just a fluke occurance? (We have a $&@" load of gravel on the roads still due to us still getting snow over here) or is this something that's going to pop up again later on?

Thanks in advance

FYI, still in break in period.. So my driving habits have been conservative and vigilant

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I had that happen to me - it was the ABS speed wheel sensor that fouled up - had to bring it in several times for them to read the damn code. I remember doing research on this because they 'couldn't find a code'. My list says : "Could be going into limp mode due to: (1) bollixed ABS Speedwheel sensor; (2) lose air pump hose; (3) bollixed wiring behing fuse box; (4) wheel speed sensor malfunction; (5) fouled up switch stop. " If you do a web search you will find this a somewhat common occurrence. Do get it checked.

Happened to me twice this winter. Both times on very cold days. Once while hitting my brakes harder than normal and once while going through a roundabout a bit vigorously. Both times I shut the car down and upon restart, the lights were gone. Took the car in and had it checked, they said it was fine.

If you're still under warranty I'd take it in. You'll feel better and also if something down the line happens, you will have record of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

started happening to me the month I bought my Impreza WRX 2007 new 6 years ago, getting ABS light up about 3 times a year, usually on the same set of small potholes near my house, but they never figured out what was wrong in the dealership. Now car is out of warranty and I got this ABS light up again 2 days ago.

Drive it until it comes back, might take a really long time and be of no concern. If and when it comes back see if it will stay. When it's on for good they can fairly easy determine what's wrong. If it goes out it may be very hatd to determine what's causing it. I'd not worry too much at this point.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Thanks for replys. I did do some research on this issue and found many discovered it was either the wheel speed sensor or the brake light module or sensor. Some said when dealership replaced brake light module, the issued was fixed. I'm not too worried about this, but will get it checked if the lights come on again.

I have a 2005 sti that i just bought, abs light was on and the dccd light is in manual mode but doesnt let me adjust the diff, we did a manual code pull and got 22 which said it was a wheel speed sensor, replaced the sensor as well as the abs module and now my cel came on and cruise control flashes, pulled code and getting p0502 which is the wheel speed sensor again, kind of lost on where to go next....

Quote Originally Posted by limpemall View Post
    I have a 2005 sti that i just bought, abs light was on and the dccd light is in manual mode but doesnt let me adjust the diff, we did a manual code pull and got 22 which said it was a wheel speed sensor, replaced the sensor as well as the abs module and now my cel came on and cruise control flashes, pulled code and getting p0502 which is the wheel speed sensor again, kind of lost on where to go next....

Have them check the brake light module then. read up on this issue on here and other forums and alot of people had to replace brake light module. Lights havent come back on for me since starting this thread so im not worrying about it anymore.

I bought my rex brand new and this happened to me twice. It was the brake light switch. It took the dealership less than a day to find/fix it, which leads me to believe this is a common problem and they have plenty of switches laying around.
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    I bought my rex brand new and this happened to me twice. It was the brake light switch. It took the dealership less than a day to find/fix it, which leads me to believe this is a common problem and they have plenty of switches laying around.
    I think it is common. It happen to me too. I havent had the time to take it to the dealer while the lights are on because it always come on while I'm driving to work and obviously it goes away when you shut the engine off.

I need to drive it around early morning on the weekend and then take it to the dealer while the lights are on because the last time I told the dealer/mechanic about it they checked up on it and the dealer found no error codes. However NO car should have random lights coming on dash if there isnt anything wrong. Just My 2 cents. Good luck everyone with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    I think it is common. It happen to me too. I havent had the time to take it to the dealer while the lights are on because it always come on while I'm driving to work and obviously it goes away when you shut the engine off.

I need to drive it around early morning on the weekend and then take it to the dealer while the lights are on because the last time I told the dealer/mechanic about it they checked up on it and the dealer found no error codes. However NO car should have random lights coming on dash if there isnt anything wrong. Just My 2 cents. Good luck everyone with this issue.
    I totally call BS on that because when I brought them the car, it was obviously turned off and then turned back on clearing this problem. I remember reading up on it the first time it happened and there is a different method used for diagnostics besides OBD-II that they can do to find problems in the system. He even told me there were no active codes but something was logged about the brake sensor being off and that's how they were able to fix it. Unless he was totally blowing smoke up my ass and knew what it was from the get-go.
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    I totally call BS on that because when I brought them the car, it was obviously turned off and then turned back on clearing this problem. I remember reading up on it the first time it happened and there is a different method used for diagnostics besides OBD-II that they can do to find problems in the system. He even told me there were no active codes but something was logged about the brake sensor being off and that's how they were able to fix it. Unless he was totally blowing smoke up my ass and knew what it was from the get-go.
    So has your issue been resolved?

Almost 2 months now since the lights first came on, and have not have an issue since. If they come up again ill just have the brake sensor replaced under the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by MercWithaMouth41 View Post
    Almost 2 months now since the lights first came on, and have not have an issue since. If they come up again ill just have the brake sensor replaced under the warranty.
    Cool. I will also do the same. However, Everytime I am not near my local Subaru that is when the lights show up on the display. Smh.

I guess I will have to drive around and plan for this so the dealer can see the lights and not tell me later that they couldn't find the error.

Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.