Rattle at start up

This is a discussion on Rattle at start up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just bought my first wrx, its a 2002, with 130k miles, ive noticed a rattle at start up, it does ...

Rattle at start up

Just bought my first wrx, its a 2002, with 130k miles, ive noticed a rattle at start up, it does it every morning. It also makes a rattle when im on the highway above 4000 rpm, it stops making the noise when I shift in any gear, im thinking either valve train noise, rod bearings, piston pins or slap. Any ideas anyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Piston slap is not uncommon. However it should go away when the car is warm. Do you not suspect the throw out bearing though?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No I dont think its a throw out bearing, its doesn't do it when I press the clutch in, I was thinking of trying 20w50 oil since the oil change is due anyway. Maybe that will change the noise. What other common things go wrong that would cause that type of noise on these cars