'06 STI Starter went out after a run?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '06 STI Starter went out after a run? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, so i was doing a run from a dig today without a hardlaunch(closed course of course) and after ...

Unhappy '06 STI Starter went out after a run?

Hey guys, so i was doing a run from a dig today without a hardlaunch(closed course of course) and after that run i went to a gas station to stop to shoot the **** with some buddies , (didnt turn off my car that time until arrival of gas station). and when we were getting ready to leave my subby wouldnt turn over, all the cluster lights came on , no CEL. So i decided to bump it and it started up. Im not a expert by any means , my first guess was the starter. When i try to turn over the engine the time and cluster lights would dim. Could it be because the starter is shot and trying to draw power and not doing anything? and also is it more than likely the starter?, mind you the vehicle runs fine after i bumped it, i parked it for now until i can get a diagnosis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a battery issue to me. How old is the battery?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Does it click or make noise when you try to start it?

I've damaged a starter under very severe driving but that model was prone to failure. Yours is not.

Suspect battery, main battery leads, starter connections, starter solenoid; order isn't unlikely either so I'd start at the first.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hey guys, come to find out it was the clutch sensor connection, the one where it senses wether you have the clutch pedal pushed in or not so it can start. So glad that's all it was, btw thanks for the input guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    Good to hear. Did it come apart at the pedal?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatr86561 View Post
    Hey guys, come to find out it was the clutch sensor connection, the one where it senses wether you have the clutch pedal pushed in or not so it can start. So glad that's all it was, btw thanks for the input guys!
    That's random. How were you able to diagnose that so quickly?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I foregot about my buddy back home in florida had a 06 STI as well, i dont think year really matters but i told him what happened and whats going on and surprisingly he had the same exact thing happen. So he told me to check the sensor cable on the clutch pedal and sure enough it was became disconnected, reattached it and started right up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.