Strange rattling noice when engine is warm

This is a discussion on Strange rattling noice when engine is warm within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Guys, I have a strange rattling sound that sounds kind of like a loose v-belt only it's not. It ...

Question Strange rattling noice when engine is warm

Hi Guys,

I have a strange rattling sound that sounds kind of like a loose v-belt only it's not. It appears when the engine is warm and it follow the rpm. I did a few quick 0-100 km/h today and it really started to rattle. After driving slowly the rest of the way home, I parked the car and let it idle for a minute or two and then the noice slowly went away. Then when revving the car there is nothing to hear. Now that I think about it; The noice might be more like a ball berring that's starting to get noisy. What could this noise be? I tried to locate and it just might come from the right side of the engine (passenger side in LHD car) but definately not confirmed.

Car:
    Impreza WRX 2.5 '08 with about 35.000 KM on the clock.

Let me know what you think.

/C

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you should try and take a picture of the noise.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yes. That was my first thought, but my camera has run out of sound ;-D

Sendt fra min Nexus 10 med Tapatalk2

Quote Originally Posted by aZLAn2000 View Post
    Yes. That was my first thought, but my camera has run out of sound ;-D

Sendt fra min Nexus 10 med Tapatalk2

Well played sir! Well played.

Unfortunately it is tough to diagnose a rattling issue since we can't hear it and I know you're doing your best to describe it...plus...it's a Subaru. It rattles everywhere! If you could post a vid with sound, it could be very beneficial. However the first thing a lot of us would suggest is that you have some rattling heat shields. There is quite a bit of heat shielding underneath the car for protection from the hot-running exhaust system, and they constantly will come loose and rattle, especially when limited to the specific vibrations caused by certain RPM ranges as opposed to others that may not cause it to rattle. I'd get up under the car and pick around with a fine tooth comb and see what you find.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Well played sir! Well played.

Unfortunately it is tough to diagnose a rattling issue since we can't hear it and I know you're doing your best to describe it...plus...it's a Subaru. It rattles everywhere! If you could post a vid with sound, it could be very beneficial. However the first thing a lot of us would suggest is that you have some rattling heat shields. There is quite a bit of heat shielding underneath the car for protection from the hot-running exhaust system, and they constantly will come loose and rattle, especially when limited to the specific vibrations caused by certain RPM ranges as opposed to others that may not cause it to rattle. I'd get up under the car and pick around with a fine tooth comb and see what you find.
    Just don't use an actual comb. That might not be that helpful.

That Mikie...full of advice, always with the wrong tools.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Subarus are prone to rattle sounds. Chances are it's nothing to worry about but a little vid may really help us try to help you.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Yes. Thats why I didn't freak out about the first comment. I read my post again and learned my lesson.

My concern was the turbo, but googling around and start using the top floor (my brain) made me realize that the rattle/squeeking would change to a much higher frequency if that was the case.

On my way to work it started again but then disappeared completely before i got there, so I'm gonna put my super H1 mic. in the car and then catch the sound the next time i hear it (and its safe to pull over)

/Christian

Sent from my phone

Quote Originally Posted by aZLAn2000 View Post
    Yes. Thats why I didn't freak out about the first comment. I read my post again and learned my lesson.

My concern was the turbo, but googling around and start using the top floor (my brain) made me realize that the rattle/squeeking would change to a much higher frequency if that was the case.

On my way to work it started again but then disappeared completely before i got there, so I'm gonna put my super H1 mic. in the car and then catch the sound the next time i hear it (and its safe to pull over)

/Christian

Sent from my phone
    Good luck!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Hi Guys!

I finally found the mic and recorded the weird sound. It appears after a short while and then it disappears again. I didn't drive aggressively or anything and the sound appeared after 10-15km and disappeared again after another 5km.

You can download and listen to the MP3 in the following link:
    www.amazed.dk/downloads/engine.mp3

(I popped the hood and pointed the mic at the right side of the engine and then in the front of the engine. You can hear windy noice between the two). I don't think it coming from the front of the engine however I am not sure. Hard to tell.

What have I broken? :-O

I had the car by my local dealer and they had it in for the day to fix other things and change oil etc. They wasn't sure about what it was. They said it sounded like the flywheel and that it would require to take it apart. I bought the car som another dealer, so I think i'll take i by them and see if I can get it fixed under warranty.

/Christian

..and the latest update is that when I visited the dealer the car didn't make that noice at all. It seems to disappear after 15 minutes and it takes about 45 minutes to drive to the dealer... !"#!"§. I had other stuff todo today, otherwise I would have parked the car some where near and then driven back to them after about an hour or so...

I hate these kind of problems! Rooooooaaar!

/Christian

Well.. After removing the belt at pulls the generator and servo pump (i think), the noise didn't leave. I then removed the cambelt/timing belt cover to look what is underneath and to see if I can pinpoint the noise to this location. But when the cover came off the noise wasn't that significant so I have to wait till tomorrow to see what happens. It sounds like it's coming from the upper cam wheel which I have taken a picture of.

Does this cam have some other function with the extra shiny thing on top of it?

Have any of you heard of this being noisy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-30-17.25.41.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	113686