WRX Boost Issue - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX Boost Issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by anpato Try the LWG map first, eventually If you do go and get a pro tune buy ...

Quote Originally Posted by anpato View Post
    Try the LWG map first, eventually If you do go and get a pro tune buy a boost control solenoid too, they help control boost alot better than the stock ones. Grimmspeed also makes one.
    Check with your tuner if you go that route...tuners may prefer specific BCSs/controllers over others.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bz24 View Post
    You hit the boost solenoid limit.
    Should I get a Cobb Solenoid? Would that help prevent it? I have also heard that a pro tune will prevent it also.
    You should contact Cobb about this (keep in mind, that Cobb AP isn't cheap and includes their support). That is not an issue I would expect with a mainstream OTS map. Are you at an unusually high/low elevation by chance?

A Cobb solenoid is no different than a Grimspeed one I believe. A lot of the aftermarket solenoids are a well known industrial solenoid they rebrand and add a mounting bracket to. I could be wrong about the Cobb one. I believe Perrin's is an example of the other type of standard solenoid available. I personally have the grimpseed one and am happy with it, but it will require a pro tune.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Firstly, what tune are you running? Looks like you overboosted.
    Possible, but I doubt it. If the code is actually "Solenoid limit" then he most likely was target boost and his corrections somehow put him over whatever Cobb designated as the "maximum solenoid duty cycle"

For overboost issues try the LWG map from Cobb.
    This should prevent you from hitting whatever Cobb calls their "maximum solenoid duty cycle". Again, contact Cobb. This may be a bandaid fix, but if you aren't hitting target boost, this won't help.

So if I do that I should be fine? Should i get a Cobb Solenoid or a pro tune?
    Pro-tunes are a worthy investment, in my opinion. Just make sure you do your reading and find a quality tuner.

If you change your boost solenoid to something that is not in the Cobb map notes, then you will require a pro tune.

Try the LWG map first, eventually If you do go and get a pro tune buy a boost control solenoid too, they help control boost alot better than the stock ones. Grimmspeed also makes one.
    Contact Cobb. Do what they suggest. There is an underlying issue this code came up, and it will radically change the prescribed actions. For example, if he has a big boost leak, I would not recommend another boost solenoid. However, the LWG code may prevent the CEL from coming back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Check with your tuner if you go that route...tuners may prefer specific BCSs/controllers over others.
    This. Supposedly the Perrin one's are easy to tune. I have no first hand experience with them. I didn't think the Grimmspeed one was difficult, but it required a thorough understanding of the boost control system to make use of it. If you are changing your boost tables around, you should know the system fairly well, however.

I've gotten that code several times while tuning my own car. It's not a difficult mistake to make. Sure does scare the crap out of you though. The reason I suggest contacting Cobb is that I wouldn't expect it in a main stream, OTS map. Unless you are at unusually high/low altitudes, I have a hard time believing that the duty cycle range isn't appropriate. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mechanical issue at fault, but I would get Cobb's advice on the matter to see if others have had similar issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    You should contact Cobb about this (keep in mind, that Cobb AP isn't cheap and includes their support). That is not an issue I would expect with a mainstream OTS map. Are you at an unusually high/low elevation by chance?

A Cobb solenoid is no different than a Grimspeed one I believe. A lot of the aftermarket solenoids are a well known industrial solenoid they rebrand and add a mounting bracket to. I could be wrong about the Cobb one. I believe Perrin's is an example of the other type of standard solenoid available. I personally have the grimpseed one and am happy with it, but it will require a pro tune.

Possible, but I doubt it. If the code is actually "Solenoid limit" then he most likely was target boost and his corrections somehow put him over whatever Cobb designated as the "maximum solenoid duty cycle"

This should prevent you from hitting whatever Cobb calls their "maximum solenoid duty cycle". Again, contact Cobb. This may be a bandaid fix, but if you aren't hitting target boost, this won't help.

Pro-tunes are a worthy investment, in my opinion. Just make sure you do your reading and find a quality tuner.

If you change your boost solenoid to something that is not in the Cobb map notes, then you will require a pro tune.

Contact Cobb. Do what they suggest. There is an underlying issue this code came up, and it will radically change the prescribed actions. For example, if he has a big boost leak, I would not recommend another boost solenoid. However, the LWG code may prevent the CEL from coming back up.

This. Supposedly the Perrin one's are easy to tune. I have no first hand experience with them. I didn't think the Grimmspeed one was difficult, but it required a thorough understanding of the boost control system to make use of it. If you are changing your boost tables around, you should know the system fairly well, however.

I've gotten that code several times while tuning my own car. It's not a difficult mistake to make. Sure does scare the crap out of you though. The reason I suggest contacting Cobb is that I wouldn't expect it in a main stream, OTS map. Unless you are at unusually high/low altitudes, I have a hard time believing that the duty cycle range isn't appropriate. In this case, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mechanical issue at fault, but I would get Cobb's advice on the matter to see if others have had similar issues.

I live in Utah and it's cold right now. I think that could have been part of it. I will also check for any boost leaks and all that jazz. Thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    I live in Utah and it's cold right now. I think that could have been part of it. I will also check for any boost leaks and all that jazz. Thanks again.
    Contact Cobb still. You paid a crap ton for that AP. At least make use of it and their resources. That issue shouldn't come up.

I don't understand the big thing about contacting Cobb. It seems like everybody has this thing against it... even after chunking up three digits for OTS maps.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Contact Cobb still. You paid a crap ton for that AP. At least make use of it and their resources. That issue shouldn't come up.

I don't understand the big thing about contacting Cobb. It seems like everybody has this thing against it... even after chunking up three digits for OTS maps.
    Okay. i will contact them. What should I say? That's my only problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb will likely tell you to remove the intake and use the stock one. there seems to be an issue with aftermarket intakes on the 11-13's. 2012 WRX with Code P0244 + Minor Overboost - NASIOC hope this helps ya

Umm...a boost leak would cause you to NOT see too high of boost

Tell Cobb that you are overboosting and you got the code stating so. Tell them exactly what the code is. They will give you some direction from there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Umm...a boost leak would cause you to NOT see too high of boost

Tell Cobb that you are overboosting and you got the code stating so. Tell them exactly what the code is. They will give you some direction from there.
    I thought the code was for passing maximum solenoid duty cycle. I didn't look it up outside of this thread so. If it's an overboost and not the solenoid issue, then I agree to just run the LWG map.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264
    I thought the code was for passing maximum solenoid duty cycle. I didn't look it up outside of this thread so. If it's an overboost and not the solenoid issue, then I agree to just run the LWG map.
    It's the overboost code. It references the solenoid, but it tripped the Boost Limit (CEL) table value (or whatever Cobb calls it).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's the overboost code. It references the solenoid, but it tripped the Boost Limit (CEL) table value (or whatever Cobb calls it).
    So all I have to do is use the LWG map?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bz24
    So all I have to do is use the LWG map?
    That'd be the first place to start trying.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, gotcha. I used to get an actual CEL when I exceeded my solenoid duty cycle range I had defined. My mistake.

That'd be the first place to start trying.
    Agreed.
    2011 STi Build Log

Thought he said he used the LWG map already...I may be mistaken, and don't feel like clicking back to read.

OP. your target boost for the 91oct stage 2 ots map should be 17.5
    I had similar issues with the 91oct s2 slwg map: went over 20 lbs of boost. More disturbing was the fact that the actual boost never matched the target boost parameters - i.e. it never stopped building boost and the wastegat cycle never compensated for the over boosting conditions in the higher rpm ranges. The ecu eventually cut fuel and tripped a wasgate solenoid code.....

I went back to the 93oct s2 slwg map - it is better although there are feedback knocks(FBK) that appears randomly, especially under light load conditions.

This is the kicker - Cobb says -2.5 degrees of timing adjustment is a perfectly acceptable parameters for FBK..... Not to me though....I don't likee to see any FBK in any form of boosted engines....

So I will be going OpenSource here very shortly once I have the Tatrix cable and a wide band O2 sensor / guage installed. Thanks to a member here who helped me to go this route.

If you have access to 93oct fuel then use the matching OTS map, preferably the slwg if you are over boosting, and then consider going either the opensource or protune route. Good luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.