Weird idle and won't drive

This is a discussion on Weird idle and won't drive within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2010 Subaru WRX with 49,000 miles, and I'm having issues keeping my car running. I'm running the ...

Weird idle and won't drive

I have a 2010 Subaru WRX with 49,000 miles, and I'm having issues keeping my car running. I'm running the AP Stage 2+ SF 93 map with the Cobb SF intake, Cobb downpipe, and Invidia catback exhaust. I recently just installed the downpipe and changed the spark plugs. The first time I drove my car I couldn't go over 30 mph because it would bogg itself down really bad. It even died on me a couple times turning corners until I let the clutch out. I decided to change the spark plugs again to see if it would help solve the issue. It started misfiring in cylinder 3, and then eventually started misfiring in different cylinders. I changed the spark plugs again with OEM spark plugs from Subaru, and the misfiring issue stopped. I've been having the issue with my car idling really weird. It starts off idling normal and then drops down to where it almost kills itself, and then jumps up to around 3,000 RPM and then back down to almost killing itself. Some times it does kill itself, but after the misfire issue was fixed the time in between the idling problem would get longer and longer. It eventually stopped doing it so I tried taking it for a test drive. It died on me 10 feet from where I started. It wouldn't start my first three tries, and when I finally got it to start it sounded like a dirt bike. If anyone has any idea what could be causing this, your input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

49K miles? Look for a mod friendly dealership.
    Did you gap your plug before installing? What do your spark plugs look like?

I gapped the plugs to .028 and all of the plugs came out black and burnt looking. I've been trying to talk the local Subaru dealership into working on it because the only stock part I have is the downpipe.

Wait? You're running a stage 2 on a stock down pipe? Could this be the issue? Or, are you saying the only part you have "around" is the downpipe?
    '11 WRX DGM

When I got the car I thought it had TBE so I ran a stage 2. I realized that I still had the stock down pipe on so I got a Cobb catted down pipe. It ran just fine until I put the new down pipe on and changed out the plugs. Now it idles really weird and when I try to drive it, it kills itself after about 10 feet. The stock down pipe is the only stock exhaust piece I have laying around.

check your vacuum lines.
    and try using only oem spark plugs..theres nothing wrong with oem plugs. probably the one part i wouldnt change.
    if its idling weird, typically the vacuum lines somewhere arent connected. maybe you knocked something off changing the plugs. also the funny idling, jumping to 3k rpm then idles funny again seems like the ecu is trying to compensate for the loss of air intake.
    thats my best guess

So far I haven't found any air leaks yet. Could it possibly be fuel related?

This is the link to the video I posted of it idling weird.

weird idling issue - YouTube

The last time the car died on me I started it up and it started sounding like this.

weird idling issue - YouTube

seems like theres no air still for compression. sounds a lot like when you clean out your throttle body with brake cleen and some of it gets into the intake and needs tobe burned out. maybe theres no/low compression in a cylinder or two.

just tobe sure, double check your spark plugs again. if theyre foulded and burnt again you might be running very lean..hence why your other spark plugs may have burned black...so if these oem ones are also chances are its the tune maybe?
    because it also sounds like theres no spark as well

just to be sure, double check your spark plugs again. if theyre foulded and burnt again you might be running very lean..hence why your other spark plugs may have burned black...so if these oem ones are also chances are its the tune maybe?
    because it also sounds like theres no spark as well

If I'm running too lean how can I fix that issue?