Engine Repair Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Engine Repair Advice Needed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Stock 2004 WRX 181,000 miles on EJ20T engine with no mods. Problem started with misfire code in cylinder 2. Compression ...

Engine Repair Advice Needed

Stock 2004 WRX 181,000 miles on EJ20T engine with no mods. Problem started with misfire code in cylinder 2. Compression test showed cylinder 2 at 50psi with all other cylinders testing at normal compression. Leak down test revealed exhaust leak on cylinder 2. Engine removed and broken down. Cylinder 2 found to have exhaust valve and valve seat on cylinder head burned.
    Subaru service center recommends replacing left head assembly with new valves and seals. Estimate for repair is $3,045. with additional parts possibly needed. Dealer quoted $4600. - $4800. for 84k replacement engine as another option. I'm about as green as can be when it comes to auto repairs. This is my husband's car and he's flat out busy between work, Guard duty and getting his Masters degree. I'm trying to take the pressure of him by doing research and dealing with the service center myself. Question - Which of the two options would you choose? Are the quotes reasonable, or should I get a second opinion?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would not try to fix just one head and put it back together, I would have both heads completely rebuilt, all new bearings, and new rings. But keep in mind a rebuilt motor isn't ever going to be as reliable in the long run as the original.

A used replacement is also an option.. I'm selling one for $1300, so I know you should be able to find one in that price range locally (and it shouldn't cost more than maybe $600 to have it installed). This will probably be the cheaper option and less hassle. Two problems are, finding the right motor locally, and knowing the service history of said motor. I have known people who went this route, only to have the replacement fail after a couple thousand miles because the engine was beat to crap by the previous owner.

The least risky options are to either get a new unused OEM engine from Subaru installed, or to just sell the car and buy a new one.

$4600-$4800 to fix the one head is a rip off, you could get an entire brand new engine for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I would not try to fix just one head and put it back together, I would have both heads completely rebuilt, all new bearings, and new rings. But keep in mind a rebuilt motor isn't ever going to be as reliable in the long run as the original.

A used replacement is also an option.. I'm selling one for $1300, so I know you should be able to find one in that price range locally (and it shouldn't cost more than maybe $600 to have it installed). This will probably be the cheaper option and less hassle. Two problems are, finding the right motor locally, and knowing the service history of said motor. I have known people who went this route, only to have the replacement fail after a couple thousand miles because the engine was beat to crap by the previous owner.

The least risky options are to either get a new unused OEM engine from Subaru installed, or to just sell the car and buy a new one.

$4600-$4800 to fix the one head is a rip off, you could get an entire brand new engine for that.
    Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards a complete rebuild. Don't won't to get rid of the car yet. I didn't consider a brand new engine. Thought it would be thousands more than the used 84k one, but I'll look around and ask about that option now. Thanks.