Noob Mistake please help - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Noob Mistake please help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The cars do come with a rev limiter, so an occasional miss shift usually won't hurt anything. When I first ...

The cars do come with a rev limiter, so an occasional miss shift usually won't hurt anything.
    When I first got my STI, I was unprepared for how fast it got to redline and pinned it to the limiter for a second. It happens all the time on my motorcycle, and the redline there is 12500 rpms. Like other have said, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you bend a valve, you'll know pretty quickly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OMG, that engine is toast!!
    You better bring it by here and I'll exchange it for you with a 120KMiles engine I happen to have laying around...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    OMG, that engine is toast!!
    You better bring it by here and I'll exchange it for you with a 120KMiles engine I happen to have laying around...
    What a deal! At least you know it's broken in.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A compression test may find a bent valve, but a leak-down test is considerably more comprehensive. Either way, I don't think your valve-train has enough velocity at 7.5k to cause a bent valve from valve float. I'm with SD on this... if there is no CEL and the car runs OK, I'd not worry.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I am trying to calm you down. If you have no CEL and no other symptoms just move forward, but with more careful shifting.

If it feels ok let it be.
    Thanks for the help. Everything has been fine i changed the oil just to be safe. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    The cars do come with a rev limiter, so an occasional miss shift usually won't hurt anything.
    When I first got my STI, I was unprepared for how fast it got to redline and pinned it to the limiter for a second. It happens all the time on my motorcycle, and the redline there is 12500 rpms. Like other have said, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you bend a valve, you'll know pretty quickly.
    All cars come with a rev limiter for "upshifting", there is no rev limiter for a down shift thats why i got worried about, but i appreciate the input and help, and for ingo, I would never trade the motor even if it was blown, lol besides the fact that it would never be worth it unless it was a built motor and even then i would just rebuild it, but im still covered under power terrain and bumper to bumper till 100k miles lol.
    Last edited by BFam0102; 02-28-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: change

You're right in that hte rev-limiter only works from overevving under acceleration, no effect when the engine is being driven to overspeed. With that in mind, just don't make that a habit. For this once (and really not ALL that high, after all) it is fine. As I said before some people rev regularily to 7.5K and the engine takes it. I'm sure it's not good for it, but it doesn't immediately break either. My car is stage2+ and I couldn't even tell you when my rev-limiter hits... I've had it slightly into the red, no limiter at that point yet, and I've not had it high enough to hit the limiter.... And not bringing the engine by my place is fine since I lied: I don't actually have one laying around, I'd have to go find it... But for you I'd do it...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BFam0102 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Everything has been fine i changed the oil just to be safe. Thanks again

I hope this is relatively on topic still, but, when you dyno/tune a car, don't they usually bring the car to redline? If so, isn't this bad for the car as well, or is this situation somehow different and not detrimental to the engine.

Also when data-logging on an accessport, for example, are you causing any damage by going through the rev range recommended (3rd gear, 2k to redline?). I apologize if I got anything wrong, I'm just more curious really how any of these above scenarios could be ok since so many people tune their cars and such. Yet in the OP's case an accidental shift into a lower gear to 7.5k could bend a valve (in which case would seem kind of unforgiving if you ask me)? Or does it have to do with not getting to that RPM gradually or something like that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    I hope this is relatively on topic still, but, when you dyno/tune a car, don't they usually bring the car to redline? If so, isn't this bad for the car as well, or is this situation somehow different and not detrimental to the engine.

Also when data-logging on an accessport, for example, are you causing any damage by going through the rev range recommended (3rd gear, 2k to redline?). I apologize if I got anything wrong, I'm just more curious really how any of these above scenarios could be ok since so many people tune their cars and such. Yet in the OP's case an accidental shift into a lower gear to 7.5k could bend a valve (in which case would seem kind of unforgiving if you ask me)? Or does it have to do with not getting to that RPM gradually or something like that?
    The difference is in the situations you are describing you are accelerating to redline...The OP downshifted and it decelerated him (engine break). Rev limiter works only on acceleration.

I Support ClubWRX
    Blah. Your car is fine, man. I hit over 7K in every school zone.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Redline is a "magical" line where the engine goes kablooom. It doesn't matter if it's appoached from above or brought up to it. From above has no limit, so that might be more dangerous. I once downshifted a motorbike so far the engine was breaking the bike under full throttle, no rev-limiter. It survived without damage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12