Critique my shifting

This is a discussion on Critique my shifting within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guy I have a 13 wrx premium ( no power mod) and just want to know what tips you ...

Critique my shifting

Hey guy I have a 13 wrx premium ( no power mod) and just want to know what tips you can give me on driving
    The car is a NYC daily driver I don't open her up often (once a week) if that
    When I'm coming to a stop i usually leave in the gear I'm in and let the rpm down to 1.5 k and then I push the clutch in and slap her into n if possible I might bring her down from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3 but I don't do it often
    When I take off I usually rev to 1.5 k rpm before I let go of the clutch petal I'm doing it slowly so the take off is smooth.
    I do not plan on doing the heel toe. Are there any tips you guys can give me? I'm looking for engine longevity. Thank you
    I also engine brake the car alot too
    Last edited by jling0311; 02-24-2013 at 08:53 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds fine. It will let you know if you are burning your clutch because you will smell it when you park your car. If you aren't burning the clutch excessively then you are ok. A lot of people downshift to slow the car down, which is basically what you are describing.

1.5k is a little high. At that speed and starting slow you'll wear your clutch down fast.

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    1.5k is a little high. At that speed and starting slow you'll wear your clutch down fast.

Posted from a fone.
    what rpm should i aim for then?

On my 2.noToque liter I usually start it from ~1.1k rpm.
    Don't rev it and slowly let off the clutch(my clutch disk hates me because of that) get into the feel of throttle, as you let off the clutch to minimize slipping. Until I got that down my starts were slightly jerky, but practice does make perfect. Good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    Wait,you drive in 5th through Brooklyn?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Wait,you drive in 5th through Brooklyn?
    no......... only when i hit the bqe fdr west side or belt.........

You can slow down thru the gears, with downshifting, or just brake and put the clutch in once you're down to like 1k or less rpms, just before stalling. Just don't sit a the red light in gear with the foot on the clutch. My wife does that and it drives me nuts. Sit in N until it's time, then just drive as you described. I usually take off around 1.5K and give it more gas once the clutch is fully out ( I don't have hardly any torque below that and hate stalling). The clutch will definitely let you know when you overload it, the burning smell is right there...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    So engine braking down to 1k rpm's is okay? This is my first manual that I've bought, learned to drive manuals while deployed and since everyone over there learned as well the vehicles were pretty forgiving and just took the abuse. Plus the WRX is not a hilux...

I usually clutch-in at about 2k rpm when engine braking. I'm also in the group that takes off from the line at about 1.5k rpm until it seats then it's regular driving. Thanks for posting, I'd been wondering and just surfing threads for info, can't stand posting a new thread when they've been said a 100 times.

The idle speed is 750. The ECU cuts fuel when the engine is at zero throttle and rpms higher than 750. so down to below 1k there is NO fuel going into the cylinders, why not take advantage of the free breaking. Once we get to idle speed the engine would try to keep the car moving and that's not what we're looking for. I put the clutch in (often not) and take it out of gear. Just as often I just slightly pull the gear lever and let it literally "drop" out of gear when the ECU (re-)starts the engine (when the engine comes back to "live"). At that point there is neither push nor pull going thru the gear box and the gears separate with just the slightest pull on the shift lever.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

thanks for all the advice