air lock? head gasket? coolant PROBLEM! please help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on air lock? head gasket? coolant PROBLEM! please help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2008 wrx, 76k miles I will try to make this short and tell you everything Overheated and checked coolant, which ...

air lock? head gasket? coolant PROBLEM! please help!

2008 wrx, 76k miles

I will try to make this short and tell you everything

Overheated and checked coolant, which ended up being low, so i changed the thermostat since it kept over heating.
    I had a flush and refill. I have also tried so many times to get the air out without luck i assume.

Problems-

1. Cold air at idle and coming to a stop. Yet i get hot air when moving or rev'ing the motor abover 2k
    2. Only over heat after hard drive. (after high boost)
    3. My Coolant overfill overflows out onto the ground. Only after higher boost

I think thats everything.

Also I am not positive if i replaced the thermostats "jiggle pin" facing up or down. I cant assume this would make a big difference, but im so temped to open the thermostat back up and find out. SO SICK OF THIS!

Subaru dealership is puzzled by what is happening. He said drain and refill again. He also said HG is not common on my wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The dealer is not incorrect.

The thermostat should only fit one way.

Since it overheated before you changed the thermostat, suspect obstruction and/or leak. The obstruction could be anywhere in the system but my guess -- which is entirely worthless -- would be the hoses or the rad itself.

Let the car go stone cold, start it, and wait to see if you have circulation. That will tell you the thermostat is opening without removing it again. If so, then suspect poor circulation. Burp anyway since you've opened the system, and see what happens.

Has there been a pressure test? If no, do it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Either you have a blockage in your radiator or your HG is blown.

Did you change your fluid at the recommended 30k/60k intervals?

Did you use distilled water and Subaru Coolant?

Did you stay consistent with the coolant? Ex. Subaru long life-Subaru Long life

Oil or gas in water? Water in Oil?

FWIW plastic radiators in newer cars become obstructed more easily than the old school steel or even aluminum ones. When they become blocked your only recourse is to replace the Rad, you cannot effectively flush or boil them.

My Bro-in-laws old F150 Ford built so my pressure in on side of the tank (water super heated because of the blockage turned to vapor, built up pressure), that it not only puked all the water out of the overflow reservoir, it blew a dollar bill sized chunk of the Driv side radiator tank off. Sounded like some shot his radiator.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I bought the car used at 60k. He changed the coolant to green... so it was not used with subaru's coolant.

No oil in water, no water in oil

NO leak that is visible

When I got the coolant changed again by someone else he said it was holding pressure, but he also said he had a very hard time getting the air out that he had to manually do it. Which I have done MANY times. It just wants to puke it out.

My leak down, compression test 2 months ago said everything was cool. I know it could have changed in that time though.

oh also when you drained your rad, did you noticed if it drains fast or slow?
    mines pretty slow, making me think something is in the way

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionf21 View Post
    oh also when you drained your rad, did you noticed if it drains fast or slow?
    mines pretty slow, making me think something is in the way
    If they changed coolant without completely flushing the system, that could have clogged your radiator. Not all coolants are universal and compatible. In fact in you ever mixed Dex Cool and your average Green coolant and added heat, you got a nasty goopy mess.

I'd bet your radiator is clogged.

Also, when draining, the rad will drain slow until you take the rad cap off. Once the rad cap is off, it pukes everywhere.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    If they changed coolant without completely flushing the system, that could have clogged your radiator. Not all coolants are universal and compatible. In fact in you ever mixed Dex Cool and your average Green coolant and added heat, you got a nasty goopy mess.

I'd bet your radiator is clogged.

Also, when draining, the rad will drain slow until you take the rad cap off. Once the rad cap is off, it pukes everywhere.
    both caps were off.. pretty much took about 15-20 min to drain. which seems crazy to me. I dont want to be throwing money around, but if you agree that its the rad i think i might replace. 1800 radiator doesn't make a radiator for my car. Any after market brands you suggest?

I Support ClubWRX
    both caps were off.. pretty much took about 15-20 min to drain. which seems crazy to me. I dont want to be throwing money around, but if you agree that its the rad i think i might replace. 1800 radiator doesn't make a radiator for my car. Any after market brands you suggest?

Koyo

Koyo Aluminum Racing Radiator Manual Transmission Subaru WRX 2008-2013 at RallySportDirect.com
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

thanks for the help. I will let you know if it works

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you can take the radiator out and have the blockage measured at a Rad shop. I'd call around locally and see if you can find a shop that can do it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I pressurized the system and it seemed that the neck on the rad was leaking/cracked. I just changed it out the other day and under normal driving it seems fine. Today I went on the highway and only went into boost a few times (once hard) and now it's overflowing still.

I Support ClubWRX
    I pressurized the system and it seemed that the neck on the rad was leaking/cracked. I just changed it out the other day and under normal driving it seems fine. Today I went on the highway and only went into boost a few times (once hard) and now it's overflowing still.
    So you changed the radiator?

Did you change the hoses too?

Thermostat?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thermostat is new and one cap is new. Hoses are old

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.