water in the engine...:(
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on water in the engine...:( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I am pretty sure water was sucked into the engine today...It was raining quite a bit and I was ...

So I am pretty sure water was sucked into the engine today...It was raining quite a bit and I was going down the highway when I suddenly felt a loss of power in the engine. Before I knew it the car stalled and white smoke was coming out of the tailpipe. Immediately I assumed water was in the engine. I do have an exposed CAI in the wheel well, which I ordered the wheel well lining on Friday....good timing huh?

Needless to say I am really bummed about this whole thing. I finally started working again and making money to put towards fixing my car, and this happens. I had it towed and dropped it off at the mechanic but he is not going to look at it until Thursday. I am not sure what else to expect except water or maybe coolant in the engine. I do not have money for a replacement engine so I am hoping there is something that I can do.

I have done some research and read a little bit about draining the oil, pulling the plugs and cranking the engine, but my reason for this post is to see if anyone has gone through this and been successful in reviving their car. Everywhere I read the response is always negative, and solutions to trying to fix it, but nothing about anyone who has actually experienced it and fixed it without replacing the engine. If I can get anyone's input or knowledge in this situation it will be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to get rid of the car I always wanted...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Your mechanic will see whether the motor spins freely first, and correctly second. If both answers are yes you are ok. If either is no you are not, but without more details all you can really do is wait.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kord9 View Post
    but my reason for this post is to see if anyone has gone through this and been successful in reviving their car...
    Paging Cap'n Drews!

Tl;dr: Yes, it was totally fixed.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry for your loss. I'm betting its toast. I replaced an engine for a guy in an Acura Integra that did the same thing; drove through a puddle with a CAI. If you are gonna drive in wet weather with a CAI, AEM sells a nice little piece to prevent incidents such as this called a BPV AEM Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes - Prevents Hydro-lock.

Personally you gain little to nothing performance wise with a CAI, and the stock box is a CAI by design.

It's unfortunate, but a $200 mod can cost you $4000 worth of damage.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

SD_GR thanks for your input. I am hoping to receive positive news come Thursday, but as you said, I will just have to wai.

06wrx4me I definitely understand what you're saying. When I bought the car the CAI was already installed so I just left it as is. I am definitely going to look more into these things next time though, and if my car ends up being salvageable I am getting the BPV you mentioned, thanks for that. I am sure it does not matter whether you drive through a puddle or just on a wet road, but the thing is I did not even drive through a puddle. I was going uphill on a 50mph highway, so the only water would be from what was on the road. But I guess it was enough to stall the engine.

Rambo: Thanks for posting the picture and link to that thread. I have read throughout this forum about a member who drove his wrx into a lake and still got it running again and was curious to see the original posting, so thanks for that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    If you are gonna drive in wet weather with a CAI, AEM sells a nice little piece to prevent incidents such as this called a BPV AEM Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air Intakes - Prevents Hydro-lock.
    Unfortunately, it can't be used on our cars:
    The AEM Air Bypass Valve is NOT for use on forced induction vehicles.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Unfortunately, it can't be used on our cars:
    Also:

The RSX-S world was big on the intake debate. CAI's definitively gave much more power than SRI's, and the hydrolock issue was constantly debated. People looked for any and all ways to get CAI power with the "safety" of a SRI. And in that environment, those bypass setups were generally frowned upon. IIRC they were considered to not be as useful as advertised, while simultaneously essentially erasing the performance gain of the CAI over the SRI.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

My suggestion:
    Put a plastic bag over the intake. It'll keep the water out and also keep it from actively sucking water in. Then you brake out the oars...

Seriously, if it wasn't for the FMIC I wouldn't consider anything other than factory intake...
    Last edited by Ingo; 02-20-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo
    My suggestion:
    Put a plastic bag over the intake. It'll keep the water out and also keep it from actively sucking water in. Then you brake out the oars...

Seriously, if it wasn't for the FMIC I wouldn't consider anything other than factory intake...
    And you would leave a lot of power on the table, then. A lot of turbos that you could upgrade to with a TMIC setup and would benefit from an intake by 25-30+whp...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Re: water in the engine...:(

Op,

I hydrolocked the engine in my grand prix. Common problem where the upper intake manifold fails and the egr tube sucks coolant into the lower intake and then the cylinders. Well, I did the plug removal trick:

Take the plugs all out
    Unplug injectors(not really needed since they spray only once)
    Crank the car with the key for about 5-6 seconds at a time, let it spit out as much as it can.
    Next, I would put a socket and breaker bar on crank pulley, and turn each cylinder till it closed. Then with an air gun with a 1/4" copper tube attached to the end along with a rubber hose on that, stick it in each plug hole and spray it out.

I did all that and fired the engine up that night. I think you may be okay. You'll wanna change your oil a couple times though.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Screw nitrites... I'm glad my car doesn't have a pesky EGR system...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    When did Drews get an STI?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Alright awesome, I will definitely try that. I should find out tomorrow from the mechanic what the verdict is, but I don't think it hydrolocked, or at least at bad as it could have. Did your grand prix run poorly after that or was it running fine?

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    When did Drews get an STI?
    haha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.