93 Octane in Maine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 93 Octane in Maine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am not sure if this is the right section, but I would consider it preventative maintenance. I was hoping ...

93 Octane in Maine

I am not sure if this is the right section, but I would consider it preventative maintenance. I was hoping people could help my find where I can purchase 93 octane gas in the southern Maine area. I live in Brunswick. I plan on modding soon and I will need 93. People have mentioned specific gas companies, but I have had no luck finding it anywhere. If you know of a location, please let me know. For now, 91 will suffice, but I will need to locate some 93 soon.

If I cannot find 93, does anyone know if octane boosters (STP) are effective/appropriate?

Thanks in advance!
    -Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why do you need 93? Get a tune for the gas that's available in your area. Octane boosters are not worth it.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Why do you need 93? Get a tune for the gas that's available in your area. Octane boosters are not worth it.
    +1

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nbrittain28 View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right section, but I would consider it preventative maintenance. I was hoping people could help my find where I can purchase 93 octane gas in the southern Maine area. I live in Brunswick. I plan on modding soon and I will need 93. People have mentioned specific gas companies, but I have had no luck finding it anywhere. If you know of a location, please let me know. For now, 91 will suffice, but I will need to locate some 93 soon.

If I cannot find 93, does anyone know if octane boosters (STP) are effective/appropriate?

Thanks in advance!
    We do have 93 in Maine. There is a Gulf station on Brighton Avenue in Portland, ME that sells 93. Also, Dysarts in Bangor (the big truck stop) sells 93. Not sure if this will be too far away for you being in Brunswick, but just wanted to mention it. I spend a lot of time in New Hampshire as well and they have 93 all over the place.

I also remember seeing a gas station heading east past Augusta via the coatal route that was advertising 93 (big sign saying "We sell 93!"). I don't remember exactly where it was or what town it was in, but I want to say like 15-20 east of Augusta.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 02-19-2013 at 09:44 AM.

You can get tuned for 91 just as well. You won't make as much power safely, but that's what the proper tune is for.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Also if your at a point you want more power and fuel is a restriction look into Meth.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    Also if your at a point you want more power and fuel is a restriction look into Meth.
    +1, I can personally reccommend devilsown or coolingmist brands
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

The reason I wanted to find 93 was because I was planning on loading a 93 map from Cobb AP. I had heard it provided a noticeable difference from the 91 map. Either way, I had assumed the car would run better (slightly) on 93 even without flashing the ECU. From what everyone is saying, it seems that it doesn't.

Thanks!
    -Nick

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    We do have 93 in Maine. There is a Gulf station on Brighton Avenue in Portland, ME that sells 93. Also, Dysarts in Bangor (the big truck stop) sells 93. Not sure if this will be too far away for you being in Brunswick, but just wanted to mention it. I spend a lot of time in New Hampshire as well and they have 93 all over the place.

I also remember seeing a gas station heading east past Augusta via the coatal route that was advertising 93 (big sign saying "We sell 93!"). I don't remember exactly where it was or what town it was in, but I want to say like 15-20 east of Augusta.
    Thanks for the info, I haven't had a chance to cruise the Portland area. I head south every other week so I will check out the Gulf station.
    -Nick

The idea of having the different maps from Cobb...is to flash whatever has the most availability to you for gas. You're doing it backwards

You will lose a little power between 91 and 93 octane maps, buts due to the amount of timing you can add into 93 maps because they have lower risk of detonation and knock.

Consistently adding Octane booster probably isn't the best idea. If you really want to get the best for what you have around...just get a protune on 91.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The idea of having the different maps from Cobb...is to flash whatever has the most availability to you for gas. You're doing it backwards

You will lose a little power between 91 and 93 octane maps, buts due to the amount of timing you can add into 93 maps because they have lower risk of detonation and knock.

Consistently adding Octane booster probably isn't the best idea. If you really want to get the best for what you have around...just get a protune on 91.
    Thanks for the info. I wanted to find 93 because I wanted the gains associated with the 93 map, even if it is only a slight difference. I understand it is easier and more logical to stick with 91 because of the accessibility, but I wanted to find out if I could find 93 nearby and take that tuning route. I live 20 minutes from the Gulf station blacksti mentioned, so it seems feasible to me.

Thanks for all of the opinions. If I knew more of what I was doing I would consider meth, but I'm still green when it comes to cars.
    -Nick

I Support ClubWRX
    On a side note if you need any help installing any mods on your car let me know. A friend of mine lives in Saco and is a great mechanic and him and his brothers have a ton of experience modding and tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    On a side note if you need any help installing any mods on your car let me know. A friend of mine lives in Saco and is a great mechanic and him and his brothers have a ton of experience modding and tuning.
    Thanks, that would be awesome. I am doing all I can to learn about cars, but there is so much that it is overwhelming. I have experience with general maintenance, but there are so many other things I want to do to my WRX. I plan on installing most of the mods myself, but I have zero confidence in open source tuning and I am not sure how aggressive the Cobb AP tunes are. A local contact to an experienced tuner is great!
    -Nick

Why do you have zero confidence in Open Source tuning? It's one of the most versatile and easily used (and widely used) tuning tools there is.

Cobb OTS maps aren't really all that aggressive considering they are a "all encompassing" map made to be used with any car for that particular map. It doesn't take into account any environmental variables or anything else for that matter other than their map notes. What is absolutely best for your car might be different from what is best for another car, so it has to be kinda watered down so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Why do you have zero confidence in Open Source tuning? It's one of the most versatile and easily used (and widely used) tuning tools there is.

Cobb OTS maps aren't really all that aggressive considering they are a "all encompassing" map made to be used with any car for that particular map. It doesn't take into account any environmental variables or anything else for that matter other than their map notes. What is absolutely best for your car might be different from what is best for another car, so it has to be kinda watered down so to speak.
    My bad, I should have clarified. I am confident open source tuning is a great option, but I am not confident that I could do it myself.
    -Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast