A Reflection: DIY Timing Belt 2006 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on A Reflection: DIY Timing Belt 2006 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by wrx650 I enjoyed reading this (I lol'd at the victory pic) +1...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    I enjoyed reading this (I lol'd at the victory pic)
    +1
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hm you may be right. The factory manual specifies which. I remember having bolt threading problems though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking over this thread again, I should mention what I did to clear the power steering stuff and get the rad out: instead of disconnecting it, I just rotated it out of the way. Worked fine, no leaks then or now. Again I could have gotten lucky. Like Yeager said though I'd rather be lucky than good any day.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Looking over this thread again, I should mention what I did to clear the power steering stuff and get the rad out: instead of disconnecting it, I just rotated it out of the way. Worked fine, no leaks then or now. Again I could have gotten lucky. Like Yeager said though I'd rather be lucky than good any day.
    Rotated what? The reservoir or the pump?

I know they changed radiators between 2002 and 2006, I dunno if they changed the PS components as well, but there is no way the rad was getting passed the hose in place on my 06.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    The reservoir. There is no pressure on that side of the system and the hose rotated relatively easily yet remained clamped. No leaks. I was very careful but it worked.

Any seals I should think about replacing? I am also using the gates kit with water pump. I plan to replace WP with factory metal gasket and do the Motorad Thermostat with included Gates gasket per your thread.

my 2006 WRX has 120k miles and want this thing to last well into the 200k+

Quote Originally Posted by Cmcmenam View Post
    Any seals I should think about replacing? I am also using the gates kit with water pump. I plan to replace WP with factory metal gasket and do the Motorad Thermostat with included Gates gasket per your thread.

my 2006 WRX has 120k miles and want this thing to last well into the 200k+
    This thread is pretty old bit still has good info on it. With that said how much time/money do you have? I had mine done earlier this year and just had the tensioner, water pump and thermostat replaced but had the tech check the other idlers. If they were good leave them, which they were.
    If you have time and patience you might as well do the cam seals and front crank seal while your there
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    I replaced all four cam seals and the crank seal.

I used a Subaru thermostat and Subaru gaskets. The Gates WP failed after 60K and I am now using an Aisin.

I replaced all the pulleys. Mind the bolt lengths, they pulley depth may have changed so make sure your bolts are the correct length to grab enough thread but not too long to go in too far or bottom out etc.

Money is the thing...I would love to go above and beyond with this maintenance but after the Gates Kit, new hoses, new AC and Alt. belts, oil, antifreeze, etc... I'm about tapped. Also, I will be replacing all the pulleys with the new kit but maybe I look at different water pump since the gates failed after 60K

How big of a pain are the cam and crank seals?

I Support ClubWRX
    I found them daunting. I was rescued by members here. I made a thread; search for it because I'm on my mobile. The trick is immobilizing the cam gears -- all at once -- while loosening a 10mm hex bolt from 80 ft lbs or so.

The guys here helped me use the old belt and clamps to immobilize the cams. The thread has pictures, find it.

We used an O-ring pick to remove the old seals. They fought back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok so if you have the correct cam and crank sprocket tools, use those. If not, buy those. If not still, try what I did but at your own risk:

Cam seals, crank seal: Replacement? How?

I Support ClubWRX
    Money is the thing...I would love to go above and beyond with this maintenance but after the Gates Kit, new hoses, new AC and Alt. belts, oil, antifreeze, etc... I'm about tapped. Also, I will be replacing all the pulleys with the new kit but maybe I look at different water pump since the gates failed after 60K

How big of a pain are the cam and crank seals?
    I compared my OEM water pump on my 2006 that came out with the Gates I put back in. Markings, castings, part numbers were identical. It could be that SD_GR bought his Gates kit when they were using a different style pump (his maintenance was done a few years before mine IIRC).

He is correct the cam and crank seals are a bear. I bought all the seals just in case and inspected them, they all looked beautiful, so I left them alone.

Don't forget to buy new hose clamps. The aftermarket hoses are thicker than stock so the factory clamps will not work.

Also buy the crank pulley tool and the cam tool.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I compared my OEM water pump on my 2006 that came out with the Gates I put back in. Markings, castings, part numbers were identical. It could be that SD_GR bought his Gates kit when they were using a different style pump (his maintenance was done a few years before mine IIRC).
    I think you're right. The Gates pump and the Subaru pump it replaced differed in that one, I forget which, does not have an enclosed impeller.

Gates was no more or less reliable than the OEM Subaru pump -- probably because that was a Gates also I suppose -- and I've had two pumps fail at 60K each, one OEM Subaru, one Gates.

We'll see how the current Aisin goes.

EDIT: Here:
    Gates Timing Belt Kit - My Impressions

In the last post of that thread I took a picture of the Gates and the Subaru OEM water pumps side by side for comparison.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-16-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks guys! All great info. I'll see about checking the cam seals but prob just gonna stick to the timing belt. I don't need added trouble right now

Thanks guys! All great info. I'll see about checking the cam seals but prob just gonna stick to the timing belt. I don't need added trouble right now
    No do the water pump and idlers with it
    Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.