Mid-pipe?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mid-pipe? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have obtained an up-pipe, down-pipe, and a mid-pipe recently. I am doing my up-pipe today, but know i need ...

Mid-pipe?

I have obtained an up-pipe, down-pipe, and a mid-pipe recently. I am doing my up-pipe today, but know i need a tune for a down-pipe. My question is if i need a tune for a mid-pipe? Its all cat-less so i assume i would correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mid-pipe?

Your not gonna need a tune for the mid pipe . Just the down pipe . You can put a cat back on the car and all it's gonna do is make it sound nice , unless u buy a crappy eBay exhaust then it's gonna sound horrible.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Only the downpipe really requires a tune.. that said, if you have it and plan on installing it, why wouldn't you install it along with the downpipe, before you get tuned?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Only the downpipe really requires a tune.. that said, if you have it and plan on installing it, why wouldn't you install it along with the downpipe, before you get tuned?
    You have to remove the downpipe in order to install an uppipe. You may as well hold off until you can replace it, too.

The only reason to do an uppipe before you can install the downpipe is if you have a 2.0L car, where there's a catted unit from the factory. Otherwise, don't get ahead of yourself and just wait.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

it is a 2.0, I struggled getting the heat shield off of the headers/ uppipe. i need to find a better way to get the o2 sensor off there. i couldnt seem to find a good way to go about it. and also my a/c lines were impossibly in the way of me getting to the downpipe... any help in these fields? what have you guys done in these situations? I am going to give it another whirl tomorrow after school.

I didn't worry about the O2 sensor until I had it off the car.. then I don't remember it being difficult. Just unplug the O2 sensor harness, then remove the exhaust manifold and uppipe. (same with the EGT sensor)

You remove the downpipe from underneath the car, the A/C lines aren't even close to being in the way (from what I remember).

I Support ClubWRX
    the midpipe is part of the catback portion of the exhaust, which wont require a tune
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    the midpipe is part of the catback portion of the exhaust, which wont require a tune

My midpipe was actually the part of the exhaust containing the catalytic converter, upstream from the catback.. but not every system is designed that way.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    My midpipe was actually the part of the exhaust containing the catalytic converter, upstream from the catback.. but not every system is designed that way.
    are you talking about some of the dp's that are 2 parts
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Yeah, I have the TurboXS stealthback..

For what it's worth, the midpipe is also not part of the catback when it comes to stock exhaust either.

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks for that. guess the invidia is different than that
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Yeah, the long style downpipes include the midpipe.. so it's still not really a part of the catback.

I Support ClubWRX
    I always thought CBE was midpipe, y pipe, mufflers...then TBE also included the downpipe...

I am talking about getting the down-pipe off the turbo. The a/c lines are right above/ behind the turbo right off the fire wall

Quote Originally Posted by Cheets View Post
    I am talking about getting the down-pipe off the turbo. The a/c lines are right above/ behind the turbo right off the fire wall

What year model is your car? I've done probably a dozen downpipe installs on 02-05 WRX.. never have the A/C lines been an issue. even when using a cheater bar on the top bolts.

Soak the bolts with PB Blaster for a few hours. Then put a wrench in the head of the bolt and a socket on the nut and turn. If you're hitting the A/C lines with the handle of the ratchet (I never have, but I can only guess that is your problem??), then I suppose you could put the ratchet on the side toward the front of the car and use a small extension.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.