Transmission and Engine Oil Change
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Transmission and Engine Oil Change within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, This is my first post, so I apologize if I am being a repetitive noob! I am definitely ...

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I apologize if I am being a repetitive noob! I am definitely not a gear head (yet) and I was just looking for some opinions on the fluids I decided to use. I recently bought a 2006 WRX and I have had zero issues with the car. The dealer did not have an information on the previous maintenance, so I decided I would "baseline" the car just to be safe. After reading endless posts and threads I have decided to use Redline products. I know many people prefer Royal Purple over Redline, but my friend (mechanical engineer) told me he had great results with Redline products. So, I decided to do some maintenance and wanted to see what everyone's opinion was on my setup.

Transmission: Redline 75w90 NS
    Rear Differential: Redlline 75w90
    Engine: Redline 5w30
    Oil Filter: Subaru OEM Oil Filter

I live in Maine, and the temperatures during the winter can drop below -10F. The research I have done led me to believe that Redline 5w30 would be the best choice for engine oil. I chose the Redline 75w90 NS for the transmission because I heard the lack of friction modificators was better to use in the transmission than other Redline fluids (Shockproof Lightweight) and that it meets the GL-5 requirement. It also seems that most people feel that the Redline 75w90 (non-NS) is better for the rear differential because it does have friction modificators. Lastly, most people feel the Subaru OEM oil filter is the best filter to use on the car (thoughts). I have a Torx 70 bit, siphon, and anti-seize. Anything else that I am missing (besides standard tools)?

I was hoping people could provide opinions on if my proposed plan is a good idea/bad idea. I know the opinions will range, but I am looking for solid facts as to why using all Redline would be a bad idea. So far, I haven't found anything that says it is.

Again, thanks for the patience and understanding that I am new to the world of maintaining vehicles. Either way, is it sad that I am super excited to change my fluids...?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I made the same choice for my transmission and rear differential. I have been happy with it so far and I've had them in for about 20 000 miles. The redline oil is good stuff. The problem is that it's really expensive and you could be just as well off with something like rotella t6 from walmart (about 27 bucks for a gallon and a quart). Enjoy.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Thanks for the info! Ya, I had heard that many people use Rotella T6, but I had also heard some people have had issues with it. Not that Redline has a perfect track record, but I have found very little negative information about it. I am not rich or anything, but an extra couple bucks buys me some piece of mind. Thanks again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you chose a pretty good quality product. Welcome to the forum...Where in Maine are you?

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum. Check the link in my sig out. I embarked on a tranny fluid journey of discovery and landed on Subaru Extra S fluid, as many others have.

Redline 5w30 engine oil is really unnecessary. Many of us in the community run the mobil 1 5w30 in the 5 qt jug from Walmart. Picked another one up last night for $24. Subaru OEM oil filters are the way to go IMO. My local dealer sells them for $5.50 a piece as does www.subarugenuineparts.com.

You might need one helluva a breaker bar to put on the end of that T70. Mine was an absolute bear the first time.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-09-2013 at 07:30 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by nbrittain28 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Ya, I had heard that many people use Rotella T6, but I had also heard some people have had issues with it. Not that Redline has a perfect track record, but I have found very little negative information about it. I am not rich or anything, but an extra couple bucks buys me some piece of mind. Thanks again.
    My car would consume oil when I ran 5w30. Ever since I switched to T6 I haven't added any more oil. Being that it's a a 5w40 you should have no problem cranking at -10F.
    Plus its cheap.... er than constantly buying and adding more oil.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    I made the same choice for my transmission and rear differential. I have been happy with it so far and I've had them in for about 20 000 miles. The redline oil is good stuff. The problem is that it's really expensive and you could be just as well off with something like rotella t6 from walmart (about 27 bucks for a gallon and a quart). Enjoy.
    You guys have the quart bottles! Lucky bastard! hahaha.

I Support ClubWRX
    For reference, I use the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257
    Maintenance Items:

Engine Oil: Shell Rotella T6 5W40
    Engine Oil Filter: Purolator PureONE
    Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
    Battery: Optima Red Top (Group 35)
    Wipers: PIAA Super Sporza Silicone 22" | PIAA Super Silicone 17" | Rain-X Original Window Treatment
    Transmission Fluid: Subaru Extra-S 75w90
    Rear Differential Fluid: Subaru LSD 90LS
    Coolant: 1gal Subaru "Long Life" Coolant / 1gal Distilled Water
    Washer Fluid: Rain-X 2-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid
    For your rear diff, I'd throw Extra-S in there instead of the Subaru LSD oil. For engine oil, it's best to try a particular oil, and get UOAs done to see how it's taking.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Sounds like you chose a pretty good quality product. Welcome to the forum...Where in Maine are you?
    Thanks! Any experience with Redline products? I live just north of Portland, in the Brunswick area.
    -Nick

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks! Any experience with Redline products? I live just north of Portland, in the Brunswick area.
    I haven't used their products before, but I know some people who use them and have only heard good things. I use Amsoil in my car. I am from south portland, so pretty close!

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Check the link in my sig out. I embarked on a tranny fluid journey of discovery and landed on Subaru Extra S fluid, as many others have.

Redline 5w30 engine oil is really unnecessary. Many of us in the community run the mobil 1 5w30 in the 5 qt jug from Walmart. Picked another one up last night for $24. Subaru OEM oil filters are the way to go IMO. My local dealer sells them for $5.50 a piece as does SubaruGenuineParts.com.

You might need one helluva a breaker bar to put on the end of that T70. Mine was an absolute bear the first time.
    Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, why is Redline unnecessary? It is a GL-5 synthetic. I have heard many people like Mobil 1, but I have also heard just as many people who have had issues using it.
    -Nick

He was mistaken. Mobil 1 is the kiss of death in these cars. He probably meant Rotella T6.

Mobil 1 is the oil that my car was consuming like crazy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, why is Redline unnecessary? It is a GL-5 synthetic. I have heard many people like Mobil 1, but I have also heard just as many people who have had issues using it.
    I would go with a high quality oil (like you are). Don't let someone convince you to save money by buying cheap oil. The way I figure...three/four times a year...$50-$60...I would rather pay that for good oil than put something in my car that I have to wonder about.

I Support ClubWRX
    make sure you have some sort of funnel and some plastic tubing or one of the flexible funnels. Filling the tranny can be a bit tricky without the right funnel setup.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX

No I meant Mobil 1. Hey it's your money, if you wanna spend $50 on oil go for it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.