Its timing belt time 2006 wrx...

This is a discussion on Its timing belt time 2006 wrx... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm at 95k miles and I'm gonna wrap my 90k service into it too. I just ordered: * the Gates ...

I Support ClubWRX

I'm at 95k miles and I'm gonna wrap my 90k service into it too.

I just ordered:

* the Gates T belt kit w/ water pump
    * upper and lower rad hoses
    * new v belts
    * this cam locking tool so i can do it solomeo Company23 Subaru Cam Lock Tool Subaru Turbo Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

from Rallysportdirect

I plan on going to the Dealer for a factory water pump gasket, thermostat and gasket.

Already have:

* Subaru coolant
    * spark plugs

Any one have any suggestions, advice, parts I am missing or tools to make it easier?

Crankshaft oil seal?

Thanks.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

After getting advice here I did all the cam seals and the crank seal since I keep my cars a long time. Rad hoses should be inspected. External belts should be inspected.

Coolant conditioner?

The last roller to go on is on the lower driver side and there is already tension on the belt when you try to thread the last bolt. Take care to not cross thread.

Check all rollers old vs new to make sure they are the same depth so that you know your bolts are long enough to hold securely.

If you do the 90k stuff too, check valve cover gaskets.

Check two lines off the water pump for leaks; they use spring clamps and go up off the two small nipples on the pump,
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-08-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    After getting advice here I did all the cam seals and the crank seal since I keep my cars a long time. Rad hoses should be inspected. External belts should be inspected.

Coolant conditioner?
    Any special tools or procedure for the cam seals and crank seal?

edit: Found your thread Cam seals, crank seal: Replacement? How?

Check two lines off the water pump for leaks; they use spring clamps and go up off the two small nipples on the pump,
    I will be buying the little hose pieces for this too, they are $5 each. Thanks.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 02-08-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

You're a better man than I for doing it yourself. I just paid the dealer to do it since they gave me a hell of a deal including a ton of other service to go with the Timing Belt. I did NOT want to do it myself.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You're a better man than I for doing it yourself. I just paid the dealer to do it since they gave me a hell of a deal including a ton of other service to go with the Timing Belt. I did NOT want to do it myself.
    Well after doing the clutch myself....what the hell lol.

No, I have done it on a bugeye before, and truth be told its not that bad. In fact I would say it is much more pleasurable than changing one on a DOHC honda product for sure. But the cam sprockets gave us hell last time so we left them and the seals. This will be my first go round on my 06 wrx which I understand is largely identical to the 02 I did.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

There are special tools for the cams and crank but I used the guys' advice instead. Buy more seals than you need if you're like me... Once in a while the spring folds over the edge and the seal is ruined. It's not likely to happen to you but I did not avoid it. To not confuse myself if not break something I never moved more than one cam at a time.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pull the oil pump and tighten the two bolts on the back as well as replace the seal. Clean the cam and crank sensor faces.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Pull the oil pump and tighten the two bolts on the back as well as replace the seal. Clean the cam and crank sensor faces.
    Is there a how to on this?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Bump for oil pump info?

Meanwhile: in my case the thermostat housing pipe had pitting and would leak over time. Trainrex helped me Emory paper and silicone it but at the point it was easy I replaced the housing, so now I have new water pump, new housing, new gaskets. Check the housing pipe for external pitting.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Bump for oil pump info?

Meanwhile: in my case the thermostat housing pipe had pitting and would leak over time. Trainrex helped me Emory paper and silicone it but at the point it was easy I replaced the housing, so now I have new water pump, new housing, new gaskets. Check the housing pipe for external pitting.
    Will do. I bought the two short hoses at the dealer today.

I went to the dealer and saw my favorite parts guy.
    Bought all the seals including the oil pump one.
    Bought the water pump gasket, thermostat and gasket, and two new radiator caps.

While I was there I went and talked to service. Mind you this is a very reputable dealer and rather large. The service writer says that if you bring your car in for the 105k service, they only change the timing belt for $480. Everything else is extra. If you want idlers, water pump, thermostat and gasket, radiator hoses, seals, tensioner, it is all extra and not included in the service. They said that the Subaru recommends replace the belt only and "inspect' everything else. If it isn't failing, they do not even recommend replacing it to the customer. They said the most common fault when they inspect, is the tensioner and they hardly ever replace the water pump. They also said very few WRX's they see have leaky seals.

If nothing else, it made me happy I am doing it myself. Even the parts guy I trust kinda stared at the service writer funny when they were explaining what was involved.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

I can believe it because for example a seal is maybe $4 but the labour to replace them is an order of magnitude more.

My seals were not leaking (yet?) but I'm glad I did them. I hear about so many Subarus leaking oil from the front cover and I'm keeping the car. Two years later all is well; maybe the old seals would have leaked now.

The water pump is easier than the seals for my (lack of) skill level so I did it. The pump is done with torque specs, quantifiable stuff, so I managed. The seals needed a sort of forceful finesse that I really don't have so I was nowhere near as comfortable with them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Is there a how to on this?
    Whoops,I mean five bolt. No how too as far as I know. Pretty straight forward. The impeller plate crews back themselves out over time. Some people remove them and put lock-tite on them.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Whoops,I mean five bolt. No how too as far as I know. Pretty straight forward. The impeller plate crews back themselves out over time. Some people remove them and put lock-tite on them.
    They only sold me 1 small seal at the dealer. Is there a larger gasket that seals it to the block I need?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    While I was there I went and talked to service. Mind you this is a very reputable dealer and rather large. The service writer says that if you bring your car in for the 105k service, they only change the timing belt for $480. Everything else is extra. If you want idlers, water pump, thermostat and gasket, radiator hoses, seals, tensioner, it is all extra and not included in the service. They said that the Subaru recommends replace the belt only and "inspect' everything else. If it isn't failing, they do not even recommend replacing it to the customer. They said the most common fault when they inspect, is the tensioner and they hardly ever replace the water pump. They also said very few WRX's they see have leaky seals.
    My dealer...very similar to yours it sounds, is very reputable and does a lot of business in my area. They all said the SAME exact thing about the water pump and seals. They said they rarely ever fail no matter what mileage. But I said go ahead and do it anyway. Its peace of mind...because IF it did fail, I wouldn't want to pay to have it all broken down again for the price of a timing belt install. They cut me a deal on the Water Pump, so it was worth it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying