Cat-less up pipe?

This is a discussion on Cat-less up pipe? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2004 wrx wagon and am planning in replacing my up-pipe with a cat-less one. Am i going ...

Cat-less up pipe?

I have a 2004 wrx wagon and am planning in replacing my up-pipe with a cat-less one. Am i going to run into problems getting it through emissions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Cat-less up pipe?

That cat is only used for startup emissions. An aftermarket uppipe will fail visual inspection but in such a pain in the ass place its doubtful it'll be noticed.

Posted from a fone.

also for headers, i have a buddy that has headers and an up-pipe from a newer wrx, could they possibly fit my 04 wagon?

I Support ClubWRX

Cat-less up pipe?

I don't see a point in headers.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i am getting them for super cheap as a group deal with an up-pipe I just want to make sure they will fit before i purchase them...

I Support ClubWRX

Cat-less up pipe?

Are they different to yours?! If they're not, it's pointless. If they are, you'll need a new tune for them I suspect.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

they are just off a newer wrx. with the 2.5, where mine is the 2.0 i suspect they would be different. but i hear they will fit the 2.0 as well....

I Support ClubWRX

Cat-less up pipe?

I don't recall them being different but don't know for sure. Have a look I suppose.

I Support ClubWRX
    from what ive found 02+ are all the same header
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Ok, i got the header and up pipe for $20. They are just the stock ones off a 08 wrx, but it will replace the one i have so i can get that mescheivious cat out of there!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx
    from what ive found 02+ are all the same header
    Not in stock form. '06/'07 WRX have different manifold and crosspipe. The flex section of the crosspipe would be touching your oil filter if you tried to use it on an '02-'05/'08+...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

Cat-less up pipe?

Is this worth doing I wonder?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Is this worth doing I wonder?
    The uppipe, if he still has the stock catted uppipe, absolutely. The manifold, in OE form, absolutely not (it's the same piece).

The only benefit I see to this is that the OP would have a second manifold that he can PnP and sell off if/when he parts them out, while retaining a stock unit to put back on. Or he can sell them for some profit on someone who is looking for a set to return to stock on a part-out (maybe make $20-30).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I am really just looking for the uppipie. Not the headers.