can a bad waterpump sound like a failed rod bearing?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on can a bad waterpump sound like a failed rod bearing? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; *sigh* everything was running so well too. Comming home tonight I thought I lost my alt or my air conditioning ...

*sigh* everything was running so well too. Comming home tonight I thought I lost my alt or my air conditioning compressor. Making a terrible bad bearing noise. Remover the acc. drive belts and no change. Sounds like its around the middle to left side mabey under the timing cover. Rpm variable and loud right off idle. Clutch and tranny don't make a difference. Pitch increases with rpm as well. Thanks in advance...hoping its the water pump or a timing belt tentioner....something other than a new engine

a few minutes under hood and i found something interesting. brand new waterpump and timing belt. with a few metal shavings and a cut down the middle of the belt! all i have off right now is the left cover but im scrambling to get the rest off to find out what the plug has ruined my timing belt!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130205_210114_625.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	111694
    Last edited by tirerob; 02-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Yes it could be but you'll have to troubleshoot under the front cover to find out.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks again SD. i pulled the front covers in record time i think and found the toothed pulley right next to the waterpump was missing all the bearing parts. seriously, the outer gear was riding on the inner race. i think i dodged a huge bullet by shutting down when i did. that must have caused the engine to put-putt the way it was right before it started screaming at me. needless to say, new belt and idler pulleys not replaced when they did the belt and WP for me buying the car. nice its covered by the shop that did it. ill be getting some money back out of them lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130205_224553_437.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	111696

oh, this was Freaking Loud! now for a crash course in timing belt R&R 101. readreadread fix read again, check...start lol
    Last edited by tirerob; 02-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

I'm on a mobile and can't link you but there are several how-to threads on the timing belt and water pump, including at least one by me where I ask for and receive advice etc. Have a look around it's worth it for the info in my experience.

Now's the time for any oil seals, water hoses, and external accessory belts since the front of the motor is apart.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wow OK all my idler pulleys were in various stages of going to hell. Funny enough I got the water pump less Gates timing kit you did. Of course it involved driving eight hours to get it so I can be on the road tonight. And the right side cams are Weird! ( I'm almost done). I can't get over how they free spin like that. Should be able to button up and test start in a hour or so. Any advice on a care full startup or should I be able to start n let it warm up?

Edit...water pump was replaced when I bought the car with the belt( aaand no idler pulleys grr) lucky for me the head and valve gaskets are a year ish old as well as the oil pump. Its totally clean up front! That makes me a bit happier

SD i found your timing belt thread, and lost it. id love to have a link back to it if you have time just for future references. it helped alot!

cant believe just how bad my engine was running with those bad pulleys. runs so smooth now its shocking. and quiet! nearly all the wining noises are gone from under the hood, even the ones i thought might have been drive train. i did get lucky, ill never argue that. i should have thrown that belt on the last roadie i was on. and been contemplating a new engine.
    Last edited by tirerob; 02-07-2013 at 12:12 AM.

I Support ClubWRX

It sounds like I'm late to the party but all's well that ends well. I'm on the road and my search skills have failed me. If/when I get to a desktop I'll look for my panicked threads because the guys here really helped me tremendously and I still appreciate it, plus it'll help future searchers.

Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement
    Service
    Cam seals, crank seal: Replacement? How?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-08-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Just makes for a better opportunity to drive our cars faster yes? Thanks again for the how to and safe travels. What did you think of the instructions that came with your kit? Frankly I did better with yours and the forum IMO. And ya...I owe big to the club. How long have I owned my wagon, like two months or something? Two car payments worth anyway. There is no way I would be able to afford the repairs(let alone the parts) that I've installed/repaired already without the obi1 like skills here. I'm having a idea on how to buy everybody a round...I'll post it up later today when I get free time lol

I Support ClubWRX

I used the club info too, much better. I'd still be trying to figure it out otherwise!

I saved lots of time, trouble, and money plus I learned something too, so a thanks again from me to the club as well.

YES!! thats exactly the thread i was looking at for the timing belt r&r thank you. seems that i am doing another saturday, our alignment guru's 2.5l OBS has never been checked/ done at 125,000. so he ordered the hole kit with waterpump pulleys and belt. while im doing that, lol, he is replacing front cv shafts and hub bearings+tranny output seals and aligning the car. itll be a good day i hope. bringing my laptop and phone plus the shop computer/printer i think we'll have it covered! o, he will also be supplying pizza hut n beerz. to bad the 'hut is right across the street!

I Support ClubWRX

Ok good luck but a slight caution: if the OBS is SOHC, the instructions might differ, I don't know. If it is built this century though it'll be a DOHC I think so you're in business.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.