Paint Shops

This is a discussion on Paint Shops within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need some painting done on my 1 mo old Wrx due to elderly drivers. Now looking for paint shops: ...

Paint Shops

I need some painting done on my 1 mo old Wrx due to elderly drivers. Now looking for paint shops:

1. What to look for in good paint shops?
    2. How are the dealers for body work repair?
    3. Any other tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Usually dealers are best for matching paint and just fine for body work...but don't be afraid to just google local places. Read reviews from other people. That's all I can really say about it...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    1.Best way is to pop by unannounced and check out some cars they just finished
    2. Most dealers sub out body work to a local shop and mark up the job a bit, but some do in house body work, the quality will vary, so again check out some work of theirs.
    3. Whatever you do, dont go to maaco, you get what you pay for with body work.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Usually dealers are best for matching paint and just fine for body work...but don't be afraid to just google local places. Read reviews from other people. That's all I can really say about it...
    Good idea, I'm going to do that, unfortunately I live in a small city so not a lot to choose from. I just called the dealer though and they do all of their painting in house.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    1.Best way is to pop by unannounced and check out some cars they just finished
    2. Most dealers sub out body work to a local shop and mark up the job a bit, but some do in house body work, the quality will vary, so again check out some work of theirs.
    3. Whatever you do, dont go to maaco, you get what you pay for with body work.
    ugh so much truf. Please heed this warning!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

If you get a Maaco paintjob, every time you stop at a red light, babies will cry and grown men will hide their daughters from view and give you the filthiest of dirty looks. Also DSM and ratty 240SX kids will try to goad you into drag races. Cops will probably be present.

Fair warning.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you do ALL the prep work, maaco paint jobs aren't too awful

I'd never let them touch my car though :P

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by SUBhuman View Post
    If you get a Maaco paintjob, every time you stop at a red light, babies will cry and grown men will hide their daughters from view and give you the filthiest of dirty looks. Also DSM and ratty 240SX kids will try to goad you into drag races. Cops will probably be present.

Fair warning.
    hahaha NO MAACO, been there done that before!

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to go and pop into some shops and see what current work looks like. This would be a great time to get those my headlights painted black inside along with some red paint on the tail lights! Maybe even black mirrors? Any other suggestions? I have been also contemplating a front lip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-05 15.44.23.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	111706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-05 15.44.16.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	111707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-05 15.50.56.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	111708

Came out this afternoon from the post office to see this lady have her license plate up against my bumper (13 WRX with 2000k miles on it) and while we were talking and exchanging info another guy comes barreling along and pulls into the spot in front of me and swipes my front bumper. What that crap?

Maybe you should just have them Line-X your bumpers haha. And I thought people were terrible drivers here...

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, you are having some bad luck! Put steal bumpers on that beast

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    If you do ALL the prep work, maaco paint jobs aren't too awful

I'd never let them touch my car though :P
    Eh, Back in college I had a EG with a built b18 that I built and used to race with a little bit. I didn't want to pay for an expensive paint job for such a cheap car, so I figured if I did all the prep work Macao would be fine. I even paid extra for a better job than they normally do supposedly. Although the paint did stick to the car at least, the job had lots of runs, drips, overspray, orange peel etc. they also cracked my windshield and said it was due to the paint curing process so they wouldn't pay for it. I felt like a sucker for doing such a meticulous job on the prep work only to get the car back looking like a 4th grader painted it. I think the best way to get a good paint job for a cheap price is to find a body shop guy who will do side jobs for cash.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html