Shuttering in 2nd and 3rd gear downshifts?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Shuttering in 2nd and 3rd gear downshifts? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok..so ive just picked up an 05 wrx wagon on friday. Been cruising the thing around a bit and noticed ...

Unhappy Shuttering in 2nd and 3rd gear downshifts?

Ok..so ive just picked up an 05 wrx wagon on friday. Been cruising the thing around a bit and noticed that when i downshift to third and second when im at lower rpms theres a quick second of shuttering right before the engine revs up. When i down shift and accelerate( say im coming out of a good curve and i want to punch it on a straight away) i feel nothing. Car had extensive work done to it before i picked it up. New clutch, new pressure plate, turbo, engine work etcetc...about 6000 worth of stuff done by the subaru dealer i picked it up from. Any ideas? My friend was saying its a combo of leftover pressure in the turbo and perhaps some breaking in with the new clutch. Ive been trying to stay under 4000 rpms (however hard that may be) and baby this thing. Everything else has been wonderful. Please help!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What do you mean when you say "downshift at lower rpms"?

You say "extensive work". Is the car stock?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

It occurs only when im at a lower mph, shifting from fourth to third, and third to second. Perhaps i worded that incorrectly.

The car is stock currently aside from maybe a blow off valve. The previous owner had an oil pump go bad and the engine was basically f'd. He had to get it towed to the dealership.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    How about when free revving? Just at idle, hit the gas, does the engine sputter at all there?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

No..it doesnt seem as though it comes from the engine..more as i release the clutch. Keep in mind the new components have less than 300 miles on them. Any break in period for this kinda stuff?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What all was replaced with the clutch job? If something was reused, specifically a worn or uneven flywheel, it could be the cause here. If it isn't the engine, something apparently is skipping a bit when you're engaging the clutch. Could go away with use, but if it gets worse or doesn't go away in another tank of gas or so, I'd be asking to have the dealer look at it.

The odd thing there is, though, that clutch chatter typically happens when starting off in first gear, or shifting up. I don't think I've ever experienced it when downshifting.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Mine did this when I replaced the clutch. It started going away in about 500 miles. It fully we t away at about 750.

A new clutch will chatter for a while...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshy View Post
    My friend was saying its a combo of leftover pressure in the turbo
    Don't ever listen to your friend again.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Don't ever listen to your friend again.
    Haha.

Thanks alot for the input everybody. It was doing it less on the way to work this morning. Biggest sigh of relief EVER.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.