2003 WRX Clutch Assembly Replacement... HELP ME! Ayudame!

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX Clutch Assembly Replacement... HELP ME! Ayudame! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So here are pictures of my faithful and trusty 2003 WRX. Unfortunately, she has been having some troubles lately and ...

2003 WRX Clutch Assembly Replacement... HELP ME! Ayudame!

So here are pictures of my faithful and trusty 2003 WRX. Unfortunately, she has been having some troubles lately and the shop I took it tells me I have to replace the entire CLUTCH ASSEMBLY and replace the REAR CRANKSHAFT SEAL.

Quoted me $950 including all parts and labor.

1. Is this a fair value?
    2. If I were to buy my own Clutch Assembly, what parts constitute the "assembly?"
    a. I don't need any performance parts (I don't drive fast and car is all stock)
    b. For example, does this clutch KIT? include all the necessary parts to fix the clutch ASSEMBLY?

Exedy KSB03 Clutch Kit | Auto Parts Warehouse

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0525.JPG   IMG_0526.JPG   IMG_0527.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pepper3535 View Post
    Unfortunately, she has been having some troubles lately and the shop I took it tells me I have to replace the entire CLUTCH ASSEMBLY and replace the REAR CRANKSHAFT SEAL.
    First off, what troubles have you been having?

Quote Originally Posted by pepper3535 View Post
    Quoted me $950 including all parts and labor.

1. Is this a fair value?
    2. If I were to buy my own Clutch Assembly, what parts constitute the "assembly?"
    a. I don't need any performance parts (I don't drive fast and car is all stock)
    b. For example, does this clutch KIT? include all the necessary parts to fix the clutch ASSEMBLY?

Exedy KSB03 Clutch Kit | Auto Parts Warehouse
    Yes that is the OE clutch kit that will include everything you need, except the flywheel. Which should be replaced(duelmass). But some can get away with a resurface. Not a bad price if it does include a flywheel, if not still not a BAD BAD price for an "8 hour" job.

Costa Mesa plates.... check out Project Import down in Anahiem, they have a sweet flat rate deal on clutch installs(according to their site). Shouldn't be too much more to replace the rear seal once the clutch is out. But first answer my first question.

Car goes into all gears well but just doesn't accelerate in any gear.

Ill clutch it, go into first, step on gas as normal. Car will slowly accelerate within a small window of rpm range then car won't accelerate, rather rpms goes up only as if one were stepping on the clutch. (But I haven't stepped on the clutch since intially goin into gear). Plus smell of clutch burning when I open hood.