Car has no torque, exhaust got quieter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Car has no torque, exhaust got quieter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, So i have an odd issue, i have a 2002 wrx with 122k miles, the only mod it has ...

Exclamation Car has no torque, exhaust got quieter

Hi,
    So i have an odd issue, i have a 2002 wrx with 122k miles, the only mod it has is a turbo back exhaust(megan down pipe with a HKS hi power exhaust) which i installed a week ago (waiting on the up-pipe/tune/mbc), and the anti fouler mod for the O2 sensor. So when i installed the turbo back exhaust the car sounded great, obnoxiously loud, and it pulled great (over boosted a little with minor fluctuation) i was told this was all normal until i was able to get it properly tuned. So a few days pass and the car is running great, and it had the torque which pulled awesome then i washed my car (got a little water into the exhaust since i was washing the car on a hill and the exhaust hole is massive) i figured that wouldn't be an issue so i left that alone (maybe it is? i thought it was worth mentioning). So i was driving to work in the morning and when getting on the freeway and stepping on the gas i instantly felt the power loss. Felt like my old Mazda, its not terribly slow but there's just no torque behind it. I also noticed my exhaust got quieter, before it sounded like i was on a recon mission in the middle east with the crazy highway drone but now i can actually have a conversation on my phone with someone. As well today my girlfriend noticed the car was terribly slow when getting on the gas. Would anyone happen to know what could cause torque loss and the exhaust to get quieter? The car is holding boost ok, but its not over boosting anymore and still has very minor fluctuation when going WOT.The car idles at 15 vacuum pressure (i read it was supposed to be 20? Boost gauge could be off?).No check engine light. I did a boost leak test and i had no leaks, i cleaned the MAF, and reset the ECU, the spark plugs were changed 1000 miles ago with regular NGK copper plugs, and the fuel filter was changed about 300 miles ago, air filter is brand new, and the turbo inlet hose is new as well. Also using california 91 fuel, and i am not able to datalog. When going WOT there is a loud sucking noise (kinda sounds like an intake) (this was present before the car lost power) and i was told this was normal, its just the down pipe, maybe its not normal? Sounds like air moving. I also have a lot of waste gate flutter during low RPMS (which i figured was normal also). I hope someone could help me out. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Car has no torque, exhaust got quieter

So you're not in limp mode? I wonder if you have an obstruction somehow.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The car is not in limp mode. I thought about some sort of obstruction but I figured that wouldn't be possible, otherwise it would have turned into a bigger problem by now. This started after I installed my boost gauge, I'm thinking the plastic t fitting is causing some sort of issues as well the way I hooked up the vacuum lines could be a possible problem. I'm going to replaced that whole
    Line and temporarily remove my boost gauge and see if that helps. I also replaced the vacuum lines near the turbo with the small T fittings. (I left the orfice in it), but I'm thinking the autozone quality lines are a potential issue. So I'm going to the dealer to get dealer spec lines and then i follow up from there.

I call massive Boost Leak!!!

Check around and under the TMIC near the Y-pipe. I wouldn't doubt if you have a leak or something there.

Also...head to an Autozone to have the ECU checked for codes anyway...just cause you're not showing any, doesn't mean you may not have thrown one. Possible in an older model that the CEL light itself could be broken. Just a precaution.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Here is a picture showing the lines I replaced with autozone ones (besides the line with the orfice in it, I actually bought a new orfice and line from the dealer for it). http://forums.trinituner.com/upload/...ulletinrk2.jpg

If I had a massive boost leak wouldn't I get a cel? And I'm assuming the boost gauge is reading correctly because the leak is after the gauge.

I suppose a leak at the y pipe is possible, the way I actually put my intercooler back on is by disconnecting the y pipe from the intercooler, then hooking up the y pipe, then bolting on the intercooler to the y pipe. But I made sure the bolts were tight.
    Last edited by Dans_wrx; 01-31-2013 at 02:56 PM.

I don't get what you mean by "orifice" though...and why'd you get new lines in the first place? J/W...

A boost leak doesn't have to throw a CEL...proper air is metered, and proper boost is ascertained, but that boost just doesn't make it into the engine.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I got new lines because the old ones were rock solid and were very fragile and easy to break. People always ask "do you have a orfice in your vacuum line" because apperantly that causes power loss. So I figured mentioning that I had replaced the whole line with the orfice would be helpful.

I've never heard orifice mentioned in vacuum lines/boost lines in my entire life...are you referring to the restrictor pill?

Yes I am, sorry, the dealer refers to the part as an orfice.

But it would run extremely rich with a boost leak, might not even run at all... In fact, my 09 didn't even run when the piping had blown apart. It would just about start and immediately die.
    Also make sure your CEL light is working: when you initially turn on the ignition ALL lights turn on. This verifies that they work. After a short moment they go off and resume normal funktion.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

My cel light is working, I had cels for my o2 sensor before I fixed it. The car runs great if I drive it normally, just no torque when I floor it.

forget it
    Last edited by legend01; 03-04-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: knob

Quote Originally Posted by legend01 View Post
    Hi everyone i have the same problem on my 2001 bugeye it started a few months back id start car up & it would run great then next day it was like it was standard again,ive got turbo back exhaust 3port solenoid/forge dv/panel filter alloy rad & had it remapped by a very good mapper all before any of this happened,just as i was going to have it mapped i got 0420 cel but mapper was turning that sensor off anyway,then couple of months after is when it started to lose power now & then then at christmas i front got o2 sensor cel so i thought as it using a lot more petrol it was probably the o2 changed that still the same.before this problem started it ways actually good mpg.
    has any one got any suggestions what i can try to solve this as its realy spoiling a great car...pls
    You'll get a better response if you take the time to write legibly.

car has less power now do you no why............

Quote Originally Posted by legend01 View Post
    car has less power now do you no why............
    I have no idea why.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.