strange sound from engine compartment like vacume cleaner

This is a discussion on strange sound from engine compartment like vacume cleaner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a strange sound almost like a vacume cleaner from the engine compartment. The pitch rises with rpm and ...

I have a strange sound almost like a vacume cleaner from the engine compartment. The pitch rises with rpm and gets louder as I push the gas pedal farther in. Its most noticeable around 2500-4500rpm on 5th gear. The noise is not suction from the turbo and the pitch doesn't change in relation to how fast the turbo is spooled, it almost sounds like a bad vacuum leak but I'm hearing it under boost as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Suspect foreign object, vacuum leak, boost leak, bearing on roller/tensioner/accessory.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The noise disappears when I let off the gas and gets louder as I depress the gas pedal farther.. based on that I've ruled out a bearing or tensioner.. I've checked every possible place I know of to look for from the turbo to the intake manifold that boost would likely leak from. The dealership said they didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, but my friends 08 wrx like mine doesn't have the same sound

I got this one. Turbo!

Take it to a different dealer. Sounds like a leak somewhere.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"