toast clutch? or just glazed...post your opinions

This is a discussion on toast clutch? or just glazed...post your opinions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So here's the story. I'm about to leave for work this morning and I'm sitting in my car with it ...

Red face toast clutch? or just glazed...post your opinions

So here's the story. I'm about to leave for work this morning and I'm sitting in my car with it running. I park on an incline so I always have my parking brake up and throw it in gear. This morning as I'm sitting in the car with it running, I had the clutch pedal down all the way to the floor as I was finishing some texts...or so I thought. I start noticing a burning clutch smell coming from my heater vents. I com to notice the pedal wasn't all the way down like I thought. I quickly throw the car into neutral and let go of the pedal....the pedal is stuck where I left it thinking it was completely down. I pry it back, not sticking anymore and car runs fine the whoole hour to work.
    I bled the clutch after work today in my bay just to try and help the crappy clutch grab point. On my way home, cruising in 5th gear I decide to test the clutch and see if it was slipping....it seemed like it was. Very slightly, but it felt like a car in snow....accelerates, slows downdue to bad traction. You all know the feeling. I try it again...floor it in 5th taking it up to 90mph from 80, same thing. ****!!!! the clutch is slipping. I know this for a fact because the second time I was testing...I heard a nice "grinding" noise I guess you could say as if the friction material (or whatever is left of it) was slipping past the flwheel.
    Car can still drive fine, shifts normal, accelerates smoothly...as long as I'm not beating on it.
    I just want to know what everyones opinion is...clutch is shot??? Or possible that it's just glazed over? I must mention that the grab point on the pedal is very low and you don;t feel any resitance until you're almost all the way down. Then yiou also feel resitance all the way to the floor. It doesn't ease off like usual when you pass the friction point.
    Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It doesn't seem like that one event should have killed it, but it could have. If keeps slipping you'll know.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Was the grab point always low on the pedal? Or just since this occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It doesn't seem like that one event should have killed it, but it could have. If keeps slipping you'll know.
    That's what I would figure too but the clutch has been pretty weird since I bought the car. I think the last owner(s) were idiots. My car had 69k on it when I bought it, my coworker who did the used car inspection told me the tranny was rebuilt twice, and the guys in the used car department all believe there's an aftermarket clutch in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapChop View Post
    Was the grab point always low on the pedal? Or just since this occurred?
    No, ever sinc I first test drove the car it was the firs thing I noticed. The pedal was very stiff and grabbed very low, and the shifting was very notchy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well could be a variety of problems, all of which require taking the car apart.

My $.02:

A 5MT WRX clutch is known to need replacement by normal driving between 70k-100k miles. I have seen them worn out by people being complete asshats by 40k miles. The worst I have seen was 25k miles. I replaced my clutch at 85k miles and it was time, but I spent 60k miles of that at elevated power levels. My buddy who drove like a normal person on a bone stock 06 wrx needed his replaced at 92k miles. I have noticed that on the 2.5Ls, the pressure plate seems to give up and lose its springy-ness and holding power resulting in awful pedal feel and a slipping clutch disc. My clutch also had an uneven wear pattern on it, 1 side was significantly thicker than the other which supports my pressure plate theory. There are pics and a write up in the link in my sig.

Another thought; People tend to cheap out when doing vehicle maintenance, especially on a car they owe a bunch of money on/cant afford. For example, if I was replacing the tranny on any of my cars, regardless of clutch condition, I put a new clutch assembly in....period. But if you take the same car to a dealer under warranty for a transmission replacement, they will asses clutch life and reinstall the old components if deemed there is life left. They do this because, 1. the warranty probably doesn't cover the extra parts/labor and 2. they know the owner (unless they are weird) won't cover the difference also.

Even if the clutch had been replaced, most people cheap out on a flywheel replacement, especially on the WRX. The best solution on your Subaru is an OEM flywheel, but they cost $300. Most people are used to the Autozone flywheel costing $60, however they don't offer one for the subaru at that pice point. Whats more, Subaru also does not recommend re-surfacing the stock flywheel. So you end up with about 50% of people leaving the stock flywheel in place untouched when they do a "clutch ". Hell they even left it on "Wheeler Dealers."

Sounds like your car had a hard life, I'd bet that the clutch has never been replaced, just reused with each subsequent tranny and the pressure plate is giving up.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Well could be a variety of problems, all of which require taking the car apart.

My $.02:

A 5MT WRX clutch is known to need replacement by normal driving between 70k-100k miles. I have seen them worn out by people being complete asshats by 40k miles. The worst I have seen was 25k miles. I replaced my clutch at 85k miles and it was time, but I spent 60k miles of that at elevated power levels. My buddy who drove like a normal person on a bone stock 06 wrx needed his replaced at 92k miles. I have noticed that on the 2.5Ls, the pressure plate seems to give up and lose its springy-ness and holding power resulting in awful pedal feel and a slipping clutch disc. My clutch also had an uneven wear pattern on it, 1 side was significantly thicker than the other which supports my pressure plate theory. There are pics and a write up in the link in my sig.

Another thought; People tend to cheap out when doing vehicle maintenance, especially on a car they owe a bunch of money on/cant afford. For example, if I was replacing the tranny on any of my cars, regardless of clutch condition, I put a new clutch assembly in....period. But if you take the same car to a dealer under warranty for a transmission replacement, they will asses clutch life and reinstall the old components if deemed there is life left. They do this because, 1. the warranty probably doesn't cover the extra parts/labor and 2. they know the owner (unless they are weird) won't cover the difference also.

Even if the clutch had been replaced, most people cheap out on a flywheel replacement, especially on the WRX. The best solution on your Subaru is an OEM flywheel, but they cost $300. Most people are used to the Autozone flywheel costing $60, however they don't offer one for the subaru at that pice point. Whats more, Subaru also does not recommend re-surfacing the stock flywheel. So you end up with about 50% of people leaving the stock flywheel in place untouched when they do a "clutch ". Hell they even left it on "Wheeler Dealers."

Sounds like your car had a hard life, I'd bet that the clutch has never been replaced, just reused with each subsequent tranny and the pressure plate is giving up.
    That helped a lot honestly. There's no telling when or even if the clutch has ever been replaced just as theres no way to tell if the previous owners even did any scheduled maintenance on the car. The best I can do is take their falls and play catch-up so I guess that's what I'll have to do.

I'm going to let the clutch go for now just incase it is just glazed...but only because I have to wait for my tax return. Then I'm going with the OEM flywheel and Exedy OEM replacement. I've heard a lot of good reviews and it seems like a good deal for the whole kit.