2013 WRX cold start "whistle" noise - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX cold start "whistle" noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by olenderc Personally, I just don't trust dealerships, and I'd like to be able to do some work ...

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Personally, I just don't trust dealerships, and I'd like to be able to do some work on my own car.
    Cheers to you brother... ^^^

As far as the noise, I have never heard of that before... It could be a belt? but doesn't really sound like it... :/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I ended up getting the IC off while leaving the TB/IC hose connected to the TB. I couldn't find any way to access the worm clamp with a flat-head nor socket wrench. Tried grabbing a piece of the clamp with pliers to see if I could twist it around so I could access it better - no luck. Tried pulling at the hose to see if it would come off the TB - wouldn't budge. Gave up put the IC back on; almost couldn't get the IC back on but a little smidge of oil around the end of the IC and end of the hose helped it slide right in.

I know it seems that the hose might not be the problem since it seemed to be pretty snug on their and people have said that theirs have come right off with ease. However, I'm inclined to think that it might still be the culprit. I took a short drive to make sure everything ran okay and the car just doesn't pull as hard. I don't know if timing is being pulled and its cutting a bit of my power, but it definitely doesn't pull as hard and seems to hesitate almost. I don't know what else to pin point the issue at. It seems like like maybe a boost leak or idk what anymore.

Its too warm out to get the car to do it's whistle. I asked the dealership if they would do specific-type work, meaning taking the endcaps off both ends of the TB/IC hose, and they said they would but it wouldn't be covered under warranty. It's a little annoying, but I guess if they can't "reproduce" the issue they have nothing to go by to get it covered as warranty work. Frustrating. That's why I tried doing it myself but that seems to have got me nowhere. I'm out of ideas at this point.

For what it is worth, when I got the infamous 3rd gen TB to IC leak, the abnormal noise I was hearing was not dependent at all on ambient temp. I mention this because you say you can't get the car to do the whistle that is concerning you because it was warmer out.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    For what it is worth, when I got the infamous 3rd gen TB to IC leak, the abnormal noise I was hearing was not dependent at all on ambient temp. I mention this because you say you can't get the car to do the whistle that is concerning you because it was warmer out.
    I can't figure out then what would have caused the whistling during the cold and how that possibly correlates to me "not getting as much power." I'm stumped

Registered User DirtRoadPunisher's Avatar
    I know this is an old thread but i stumbled into it.
    It sounds like an electrical problem, disconnect the radio head unit and see if it still makes the whistle.
    I have a very similar noise in my jeep and that's what it is.
    Not sure if its the same thing but figured I'd throw my 2 cents.
    Hope you got it fixed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12