Is hairspray the best option to help seal IC piping?

This is a discussion on Is hairspray the best option to help seal IC piping? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm just wondering... Eric at TP said the way the map looks that I have a boost leak. Hairspray or ...

Is hairspray the best option to help seal IC piping?

I'm just wondering... Eric at TP said the way the map looks that I have a boost leak. Hairspray or something else? These IC pipes aren't the easiest to get to. The BPV also makes a fluttering noise and boost is peaking around 18.5 which is supposed to be a 20 psi map.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've been told hair spray works good for high boost applications .. that said, I've dealt with plenty of leaks running up to 24psi and have never had the need to use hair spray. The answer has always been to leak test and crank down on the clamps that leak.

Sounds to me like you need a better BPV personally.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I've been told hair spray works good for high boost applications .. that said, I've dealt with plenty of leaks running up to 24psi and have never had the need to use hair spray. The answer has always been to leak test and crank down on the clamps that leak.

Sounds to me like you need a better BPV personally.
    well like I said, I do hear it fluttering. I would hate to take all of the pipes loose and check them all, only to find out it was the BPV. Eric didn't think it was since the map is supposed to be at 20 psi, but i've heard of the OE's leaking at less too. Likewise, i'd also hate to spend the added money on the BPV to find out that wasn't it either lol. I do hear the fluttering sound though, so it very well could be that it just won't hold the pressure.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that hairspray was really only used for pipes that would pop off even after being tightened all the way down. I don't know if it would do much good on pipes that are loose to the point of leaking..

I Support ClubWRX
    Do a boost leak test. And a good set of "T' bolt clamps over hairspray any day.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Do a boost leak test. And a good set of "T' bolt clamps over hairspray any day.
    *sigh* I remember these days with the Evo all of a sudden now

Do I have to make a leak tester and all of that again? or is there any easier way?

Ok, so today I pulled the IC brace off of the PW and on that drivers side underneath I got the 7 mm and checked how tight it was... it was ok, pretty tight, but I definitely knew I could get quite a few more turns out of it. I also pulled the tube up further to make sure the clamp had all that it would need in terms of room. I tightened it down as much as I could... I know they'll break if you aren't careful, but I feel confident that could be one of, or the main source of the leak. I also added and industrial strength zip tie to the BPV hose (the larger one) which fit perfectly next to the OE clamp that was already on it. 2 4" zip ties on all vac lines that I pulled as tightly as I could get them with needle nose pliers. I would say on the next run, if this issue still exists that it's going to be the pipe going to the throttle body (which I didn't feel like pulling all of the stuff off to get to, or the BPV itself.... in which case I cannot afford a forge BPV right now, so it would have to wait.