horn/whistle breif noise when pushing in the clutch while driving (only in the cold)

This is a discussion on horn/whistle breif noise when pushing in the clutch while driving (only in the cold) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright, I have seen MANY MANY threads related to the throwout bearing making the whirring sound in the cold. Mine ...

horn/whistle breif noise when pushing in the clutch while driving (only in the cold)

Alright, I have seen MANY MANY threads related to the throwout bearing making the whirring sound in the cold. Mine has done this since day one, however this is much different.

This noise only happens for the first few shifts and is not the whirring sound most people are experiencing with pushing in the clutch (throw out bearing). I am at 2-3k rpm WHILE DRIVING and push in the clutch and get a whinding down whistle/horn noise, like the supercharger noise whinding down, but it only does it for 2 seconds and changes pitch as the motor comes back down to idle. It will do this a few times and then be done once the motor is completely warmed up.

On my way home I waited for the car to COMPLETELY warm up (10 mins) and sure enough accelerate lightly in first gear, hit the clutch in at 2.7k and hear the winding down noise, but this time it only did it twice. Never heard it again on the way home. This isn't a suddle whistle, it is well described as moderate in terms of quiet to loud.

Boost is fine. Car pulls fine. No idle issues. The sound is actually very similar to the boost leak issue most people have with the IC hose while under acceleration, but this is not in acceleration it is when pushing in the clutch at like 10% throttle ONLY WHEN IT IS COLD COLD.

Obviously, there isn't any extreme issue right now, but this is a new noise that has happened twice now and is very noticible. Perhaps a more experienced member has some insight to this before I take it to the dealership (I want to identify the problem first if possible). Not a fan of taking my car to the dealership based on previous experience.

THose who don't like to read....

*Only makes the noise for a few seconds like a whinding down (changes pitch and all) noise when it is Cold.
    *Only does it a couple of times - maybe a dozen depending on how much the car is warmed up and then will not happen again.
    *Not under any heavy boost, push the clutch in while moving at low speeds and low rpm

Thanks for your input!
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Torqued performance stage 1 (using tactrix)
    -Continental DSW tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine does a quick chirping/whirling noise when I push the clutch in quickly. It's only in the first few gears as you described, while the engine is under low load (not quite into any boost), and a quick sound. Maybe half a second long.

I just noticed it lately, but I think mine does it despite what temperature the engine or outside air is.

EDIT: I have no idea what it is, or if we are both about to die in a fiery death. I just ignore it though, for what its worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Mine does a quick chirping/whirling noise when I push the clutch in quickly. It's only in the first few gears as you described, while the engine is under low load (not quite into any boost), and a quick sound. Maybe half a second long.

I just noticed it lately, but I think mine does it despite what temperature the engine or outside air is.

EDIT: I have no idea what it is, or if we are both about to die in a fiery death. I just ignore it though, for what its worth.

Doesn't it drive you crazy!!?!

Look at this thread, this is the closest sound I can find, however I don't think it can be power steering based on the fact it doesn't do it on start up and ONLY does it when you push in the clutch on the first mile of driving or so in the cold.

Normal Noises? Starting my 2012 WRX in -2 weather.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

I have noticed a similar noise now that it is cold outside. I decided to ignore it thinking that if it breaks then I get to use my warranty. I really have no idea. Mine only happens after start up for a few minutes of driving. And it only happens when the clutch is pushed in.

Quote Originally Posted by speedsterX View Post
    I have noticed a similar noise now that it is cold outside. I decided to ignore it thinking that if it breaks then I get to use my warranty. I really have no idea. Mine only happens after start up for a few minutes of driving. And it only happens when the clutch is pushed in.
    Is it a whirring wrrrrrrrr noise (springy sound) and stops once u let out the clutch?

If so, then that is apparantly moisture that gets let in which isnt too big of.a deal (according to others experience) mine will do that on cild or humid days, and goes away after five mins.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

Quote Originally Posted by fickel8 View Post
    Is it a whirring wrrrrrrrr noise (springy sound) and stops once u let out the clutch?

If so, then that is apparantly moisture that gets let in which isnt too big of.a deal (according to others experience) mine will do that on cild or humid days, and goes away after five mins.
    Mine does this too, only on cold damp mornings.
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

Listen for the last 10 seconds. When I push the clutch in to stop at the end of the street and the rpms drop to 1.5k rpm it makes a ghost like howling noise.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

Quote Originally Posted by fickel8 View Post

That's exactly how it happens. Good to know that it's not anything serious.

I honestly didn't hear anything out of the norm.

These cars have 3 differentials going and a noisy engine to begin with on top of plenty of clutch chatter and a loud transmission. Now if you didn't hear ANYTHING like it was a Honda, THEN I'd be worried
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning