Wastegate Flutter?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wastegate Flutter? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, A question. Every since I had my car tuned (see modifications in my signature) it's been making this ...

Wastegate Flutter?

Hey Guys,

A question. Every since I had my car tuned (see modifications in my signature) it's been making this noise. Is this wastegate flutter or is something else going on (boost leak)? The sound on the video is not great, but the best I can do with an iphone. It's a very loud (easily 2-3x louder than the video ... you can't talk to your passenger while it is happening loud). What you don't see in the video is that I'm only on my accelerator about 50% in 5th gear (just enough to enter boost starts around 10 psi). The noise is a loud whistling noise that I can only compare to a tea kettle. The noise will continue until I get out of boost. If I downshift and go wot I can't hear the noise, but then again my Borla exhaust is pretty loud so i'm not sure if it's making it or not.

I don't want to word vomit here, so any additional questions/details let me know.

Thanks.

http://<a href="http://youtu.be/S7sv... - YouTube</a>

or

http://youtu.be/S7svcowhPng
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wastegate Flutter?

That's waste gate flutter. My 11 did it also after I had it protuned. But I also had it retuned by another tuner and it went away. My first tune seemed like it was pulling to much boost at part throttle.

Its your EBCS, its perfectly normal, that is how the solenoid functions, unfortunately my ewg setup will flutter like this too still waiting to get it on the car

Yeah ... it sounds horrible. I have an email in to my tuner. I'm hoping that he has an easy fix for it (tuning wise). Otherwise, I'll probably swap out the Grimmspeed EBCS for the stock one and have it re-tuned.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Re: Wastegate Flutter?

Well my car is at stage2 with the cobb sf intake/w box. Under load conditions in 5th or any gear makes the same sound and i still have the stock wg and solenoid. ... Just a thought but the stock intake with silencers probably help out more if you are running some sort of after market setup. Also i just down shift to match the speed...

Wastegate Flutter?

It's not the ebcs, I had the GS ebcs and my car still did it. My first tune would pull like 16lbs of boost at part throttle and would cause the flutter. Had the car re tuned and it would it hit about 12-13lbs at part throttle and the flutter went away. It's because the throttle is only part way open and building to much boost and trying to force to much air through. Trust me, I had my car re tuned and the 2nd tuner fixed it. I was stg 2, catless, FMS top mount, Cobb intake, GS Ebcs and more.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah mine did it after i had my ebcs installed
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

It is the EBCS its how the solenoid functions, it cannot be tuned out unless you hook it up bleed style, its your choice, either get a MBC or ditch the EBCS, imho its worth dealing with the noise for the benefits

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    It's not the ebcs, I had the GS ebcs and my car still did it. My first tune would pull like 16lbs of boost at part throttle and would cause the flutter. Had the car re tuned and it would it hit about 12-13lbs at part throttle and the flutter went away. It's because the throttle is only part way open and building to much boost and trying to force to much air through. Trust me, I had my car re tuned and the 2nd tuner fixed it. I was stg 2, catless, FMS top mount, Cobb intake, GS Ebcs and more.
    That makes sense logically ... l hope your right. I've also noticed that when I'm crusing and press my accelorator ~50% to speed up a little - that I instantly (as you could see in the video) pull close to 21lbs of boost. I'll see what my tuner has to say.

In terms of it being the Grimmspeed EBCS ... it's weird. I've talked to 10 people. 5 say it's the EBCS and it's normal and the other 5 (who have them installed) say that their car does not make that noise and it's not normal. I'm not sure what to conclude there.

Thanks for everyone's input!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.