AOS Install Help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AOS Install Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I took off the intercooler, one of the bolts on the turbo side sheared off and is now stuck. ...

I Support ClubWRX

AOS Install Help

When I took off the intercooler, one of the bolts on the turbo side sheared off and is now stuck. How can I get it out and is it safe to drive with only one bolt holding the intercooler onto that side? Also, there isn't a 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch adapter in the box. Did anyone else have this problem?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358117675.004155.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	111030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wrx650; 01-13-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    just to let you know i drove my car for a day and a half with only one bolt in. i would be easy on driving and try not to build too much boost
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

AOS Install Help

Try to drill it and easy out, don't get shavings in the turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    When I go to get the 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch fitting I need that isn't included I will look into getting a set of the screw extractors. I was going to try to do it with the tools I have, but since I have to go to the hardware store anyway, I might as well get one of those.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

AOS Install Help

Might end up just drilling it out and using a helicoil.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ Do that. Helicoils are phenominal
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Aside from the bolt breaking off, what kind of aos did you install, was it easy and do you have any picks, I think I'm about to have to install one on my 2011.

I Support ClubWRX

AOS Install Help

Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    Aside from the bolt breaking off, what kind of aos did you install, was it easy and do you have any picks, I think I'm about to have to install one on my 2011.
    I am still in the process of installing a GrimmSpeed AOS. I wouldn't necessarily call it easy, it's a bit confusing and one of the necessary barb fittings isn't included in the kit. I am going to get that fitting today and that's the reason I'm not done installing it. I will post some pictures when I'm all done. Hope that helps.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    I am still in the process of installing a GrimmSpeed AOS. I wouldn't necessarily call it easy, it's a bit confusing and one of the necessary barb fittings isn't included in the kit. I am going to get that fitting today and that's the reason I'm not done installing it. I will post some pictures when I'm all done. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    I would purchase the crawford one if I were to buy it all over again. The grimmspeed one worked, but there are a lot of negative reviews that talk about oil ingestion under hard corners while racing
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I installed a GrimmSpeed AOS. The install went pretty smoothly and my kit was not missing any parts. The only intellectually stimulation part was finding the best way to route the hoses. That part I actually did twice, because I did not like the 1st way I had them routed. If you have any install questions - send me a PM. I might have some pics laying around.

In terms of the sheered bolt .... I would have a professional mechanic who has done this many times drill it out. Such a new car, you don't what any additional problems there.

Good luck!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX

AOS Install Help

Finished up the install last night. Had to drill the bolt out of the flange, but it seems to have worked out okay.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX

AOS Install Help

Motion, here it is installed.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358517033.855800.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	111133

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Motion, here it is installed.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358517033.855800.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	111133

Thanks, will be ordering one soon!

I Support ClubWRX

AOS Install Help

Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    Thanks, will be ordering one soon!
    Make sure you pick up a 1/2 to 1/2 connector.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.