What kind of oil does subie dealer use?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What kind of oil does subie dealer use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What kind of oil brand does the Subaru dealers use? My local quick change uses valvoline full synthetic? I will ...

What kind of oil brand does the Subaru dealers use? My local quick change uses valvoline full synthetic? I will take my car to the dealer for major work warranty work and check ups but don't really have the time to take it in for frequent oil changes. So will the valvoline full synthetic be good for my wrx at the quick lube?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Valvoline synthetic will be fine as long as it's the proper weight. What I would be concerned about at a quick lube place is if they're going to under/over tighten the drain plug, or not even put it back in. It sounds rediculous, but it happens more often than you woul think. I remember a few people posting on here about how they left the oil change place and their engine locked up, only to find that they service guy never put the drain plug back in after draining the oil.

From what I can gather most dealerships will use whatever they have their hands on and is cheap.. they'll tell you it's whatever you ask for, but that doesn't mean that's what actually ends up in the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Any place you bring your car for an oil change will let you bring your own (and filter). I have always done that. I usually get charged $7.95 for labor and then I know I have good quality oil in my car

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Valvoline synthetic will be fine as long as it's the proper weight. What I would be concerned about at a quick lube place is if they're going to under/over tighten the drain plug, or not even put it back in. It sounds rediculous, but it happens more often than you woul think. I remember a few people posting on here about how they left the oil change place and their engine locked up, only to find that they service guy never put the drain plug back in after draining the oil.

From what I can gather most dealerships will use whatever they have their hands on and is cheap.. they'll tell you it's whatever you ask for, but that doesn't mean that's what actually ends up in the car.
    Ive always taken my cars to this place and never had anything happen they are very good there.. How good is Valvoline really tho?

toyota uses their own toyota oil, i would imagine subaru uses their own as well

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    toyota uses their own toyota oil, i would imagine subaru uses their own as well
    I would think it would be better then using Dealer oil..LOL Im going to do alot of research on it before my oil change to decide. Its just easier to go to the quick lube then sit at some dealership for an hour or 2. So im hoping Valvoline is good stuff and i was just asking to see if anybody uses it in there WRX on this forum that can comment.

I Support ClubWRX
    subaru uses their own oil, but i believe they also have an option to use mobil 1 oil. its full synthetic 5w-30
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

you could always do it yourself too. dont need to wait, get parnoid of a crap job, and know youre using good oil
    plus the fact that 09 and up reccomend using oil cleaning additive before al oil changes due to gunk build up on the turbo mesh

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    you could always do it yourself too. dont need to wait, get parnoid of a crap job, and know youre using good oil
    plus the fact that 09 and up reccomend using oil cleaning additive before al oil changes due to gunk build up on the turbo mesh
    What's a good oil cleaning additive to get? I'm guessing I can pick it up at autozone or some place like that? That advise is great and exactly why I'm asking questions cause I'm new to turbo cars. All my other cars were n/a v8 cars wasn't really as technical as these turbo cars. I just want the best for my Rex!

if it was me i would get the actual part from subaru themselves. I can getyou the part number from alldata if you want, i think its roughly 20 bucks
    or you can get one from autozone for like 10 or less. i used one from them, forgot what it was called, but the directions said not recommended for turboed cars so i wasa little sketchy from that point...thats the reason why when i do mine im going to use the subaru one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil flush part number.gif 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	111039NUMBER: 02-110-10R

DATE: 05-31-11

APPLICABILITY: All Turbo Models

SUBJECT: SUBARU GENUINE ENGINE OIL SYSTEM FLUSH

INTRODUCTION

The purpose of this bulletin is to announce a new product that is now available through the Subaru Genuine Chemical Program, "Subaru Engine Oil System Flush".

The main cause of turbocharger failure is lack of lubrication due to insufficient maintenance. Currently, 2010MY and prior turbocharged engines require that the oil and filter be changed every 3,750 miles (6,000km) or 3-3/4 months. All 2011MY turbocharged engines require that the oil and filter be changed every 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 7.5 months.

Proper oil change maintenance is critical to the lubrication of engine components, especially in turbocharged engines. When engine oil maintenance is not performed at required intervals, oil gelling (sludge) and deposits caused by deterioration of the oil will clog oil passages, causing excessive wear from lack of lubrication. if the mesh filter screen located inside the banjo bolt that secures the turbocharger oil supply pipe to the back of the right cylinder head becomes clogged, the turbocharger will fail. In addition, this will also cause damage to the Active Valve Control System (AVCS). As a reference, refer to Service Bulletin 02-106-08R, Turbocharger Mesh Filter Screen.

Synthetic Oil

Subaru of America inc. recommends using synthetic motor oil in all turbo charged engines. When using synthetic oil, you must use oil of the same classification, viscosity and grade shown in this Owner's Manual, and must follow the oil and filter changing intervals shown in the maintenance schedule.

Most of the big synthetic oils have additives in them already! Like redline royal purple and moble 1 I think. Might be better to just get oil with the cleaning additives already in it...

it would definetely help. i run mobil1 everytime...expensive but i thinkits worth it.
    thats basically my reason i do mine myself

I know the manual states change the oil every 7.5k buy I live in the mountains and drive up and down steep grades every single day. So I always change my oil every 4k. I would think that would be fine right?

Do not use mobile 1! It breaks down way to fast. My 11 wrx would use about a qt of oil in 3k miles. Switched to rotella T6 5w-40 and all noticeable oil consumption stopped. Mobile 1 is garbage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.