HELP! Wrecked my boyfriend's 2011 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on HELP! Wrecked my boyfriend's 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sinister That's state by state. Some states insure the driver, some insure the vehicle. Usually it's a ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    That's state by state. Some states insure the driver, some insure the vehicle.

Usually it's a convoluted combination of the two. Usually the insurance will insure the car, but you as a driver are also insured to drive other vehicles. In colorado I can file with either if her situation happened to me here.

I work in the insurance industry in claims (wont name a company for professional reasons). I handle claims in all states except Hawaii and Insurance follows the car, not the driver. If you give permissive use to your vehicle that you insure, you will have to file the claim under your own insurance company and forfeit the deductible. Now, there are exceptions....

If the named vehicle is uninsured/underinsured for the loss, and you give permissive use to someone else and they wreck it, then their insurance company CAN as a secondary try to pick up the loss.

Essentially if you are A and you lend your car to B (friend) and B tries to call in a claim under their own insurance since they were driving. B's insurance company will always call insurance A since A is the owner. B insurance will only kick in if A is not covered (uninsured/underinsured) but it is not a gaurantee.

The exception to this is rental vehicles. Most policies I know of are written to cover you while under a rental agreement, hence you wreck a rental it is on your insurance to pay the loss and you pay your deductible.

For your own vehicle, insurance ALWAYS follows the vehicle, therefore be careful who you lend your car to.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Torqued performance stage 1 (using tactrix)
    -Continental DSW tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by allyk View Post
    Yes but unfortunately my insurance is sky high because of previous claims so my dad said it would need to cost many $1000 for him to make a claim FML.

It may be cheaper to go out of pocket in this case. The best thing to do would be to call his agent (depending on what insurance company he uses, some have agents, some dont). If his insurnace carrier does not supply agents, then call policy services and ask a representitave what the tipping point is for a claim to raise the premium. I don't have access to this because I do not sell insurance, I instead only work the claims side.

Each state is different in this topic, for example California may have it set to if the insurance PAYS $1000 or more on a loss then your premiums will go up X percent. Other states have different rules, you will have to call and find out. Keep in mind this previous statement is hypothetical, I don't know what the current dollar limit is.

This debates whether or not to file a claim. If you have a $1000 deductible and the damage is $1800, that means the insurance will only pay $800 (keep in mind rental will be included in the payout if used). If the insurance only pays $800, this means you are under the $1000 (hypothetical) number for the premium to not raise.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Torqued performance stage 1 (using tactrix)
    -Continental DSW tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12