Small oil leak (With pictures)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Small oil leak (With pictures) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was changing my oil today and noticed oil on my oil pan. I have never seen any oil on ...

I was changing my oil today and noticed oil on my oil pan. I have never seen any oil on the ground where I park so it must be a slow leak. I looked all around and could not find a source. The only thing that comes to mind is that the oil plug was leaking and that the air from the moving car was blowing it along the oil pan? Are you suppose to change the washers on these plugs? Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1wi.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	110809

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photoydd.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	110810

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

from what I've read in other threads, you are supposed to change the crush washer on the plug with each oil change. Alternately, you could get a valve that lets you change the oil easily without tools.
    David - '05 WRX

Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you do your oil changes yourself? If you do, then yes, every oil change needs a new washer. When I buy my filters I get the washers with them.

Yes, you can use a Fumoto quick drain valve. Haven't used it myself, but I hear that it is painstakingly slow.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    from what I've read in other threads, you are supposed to change the crush washer on the plug with each oil change. Alternately, you could get a valve that lets you change the oil easily without tools.
    I've worked with those valves before on trucks. They take forever for coolant to drain, oil would take even longer. Would not recommend the valves
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    That's overkill. But I've replaced mine every 4-5 oil changes.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    change your drain plug washer

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Yes you need to replace it everytime you remove the drainplug... A crushwasher creates a seal everytime it is decompressed from tightening the drainplug...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz View Post
    I've worked with those valves before on trucks. They take forever for coolant to drain, oil would take even longer. Would not recommend the valves
    A truck sump can exceed 50l whereas a car sump is typically 5l. I use a Fumoto valve in two different cars, love it.

Anyway, you can change the crush washer without a full oil change. Use your thumb and work fast. Make sure the new washer goes on the right way though and have top up oil handy since inevitably you'll lose some.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Yes you need to replace it everytime you remove the drainplug... A crushwasher creates a seal everytime it is decompressed from tightening the drainplug...
    Correct

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I think I'm having the same problem. I changed my oil but forgot to do the washer, and not I think it's leaking slightly. That, or I need to replace the entire pan. Sucks because now I'll need to change the oil AGAIN, right?
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Front Kick View Post
    I think I'm having the same problem. I changed my oil but forgot to do the washer, and not I think it's leaking slightly. That, or I need to replace the entire pan. Sucks because now I'll need to change the oil AGAIN, right?
    No. See post above. Use thumb.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

youll need to replace your oil pan if you strip the drain hole out and tightening the drain plug doesnt wrk. or you can get an oversized drain bolt

I'm just going to wait until I change the oil next to change the washer. It's such a small leak.

Should I use a metal washer or rubber gasket? I see both kinds for the WRX.
    Last edited by zach1288; 01-07-2013 at 09:39 AM.

You can get a box of 20 metal crush washers RockAuto.com for like $2. No more leaks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.